We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September Narcissus 2012  (Read 8218 times)

Mini-daffs

Re: September Narcissus 2012
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »
 ;D
Hi
While there is likely to be some stragglers next week this will be my final post for the season. Spring has sprung and it is time to mow and finish constructing the Dog Palace by putting the power in for the in-slab heating. As you can see from the photos it is a heavy cropping year for the apples. Lots of blossom.
I hope you have enjoyed the photos.
Graham, Canberra, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
Super poeticus forms, Graham.
Good to see your apple trees so well flowered - there are real problems here with apple crops - some down 80 per cent or more on last year.  Looks like you will avoid that disaster.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mini-daffs

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »
 8)
Hi
Maggie it is nice to get some blossom but that is about it here unless you are prepared to net your trees. Between the rosellas, sulphur crested cockatoos and bats you end up with nothing without nets. The bats are roosting in Commonwealth Park which is about 5-7 minutes to Pialligo. However, even the bats miss out if the cockatoos arrive in numbers first. The bats like ripe fruit while the cockatoos go for apple seeds and they don't have to be ripe apples.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »
Many thanks Graham, a good season for you. Hope ours is a good.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »
Graham,
it seems the rosellas, sulphur crested cockatoos and bats are all gourmets and appreciate the sour sweets ::) ;D
Best wishes
Armin

Mini-daffs

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2012, 01:30:03 PM »
 ;D
Hi
It has been a good year for our daffodils. We have probably done more crosses than common sense suggest we ought to have done. We have had a lot of very good miniature and intermediate seedlings flower. We have tried to make as much use as possible of our poeticus seedlings. In hindsight I should have done more Div 5 and 8 hybridising but there is always next year. Our peak flowering season extends for approximately 3 months now (mid July to mid October). It will be interesting to see if we harvest more than 50,000 seed this year as it is long time since we did as many crosses.
A final photo is attached. It is part of the garden for our house. I use the spent soil from our pots and daffodil beds for the beds. I am constantly surprised at how many bulbs I miss and this year I have had to retrieve a high quality split cup jonquilla and return it to the daffodil beds.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2012, 10:57:16 PM »
Hi Graham,
thanks for all the pics!
Looking forward to your next catalogue - let us know when you expect those 7W-Ps to make it onto the list! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2012, 10:24:55 AM »
Great stuff, Graham. Some VERY nice things there.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal