We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nerine 2012  (Read 10874 times)

jshields

• Shields Gardens
Re: Nerine 2012
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 01:05:25 AM »
Arnold, the angustifolia is almost evergreen, in pots on the floor of the old greenhouse (for the winter-growing Haemanthus).

Roland, the hesseoides that I have is similar to gracilis but with much shorter stems.  It could be gracilis, since the rarest nerines I've acquired have a tendency to turn out to be variant forms of commoner, similar-looking species. (A possible down side to knowing Graham).  I will eventually post a picture.  My krigei bloomed up to a few days ago.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 07:58:23 AM »
I have the same experience wit less usual sp. and ssp.
that's why I love the fora
at least many times I swap, the plants are true

I would like to see the picture of N. hesseoides

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 07:37:01 PM »
Here is what I am growing as "hesseoides."  The flowers are 20 mm diameter at their widest.  The bulbs are growing in a 1-gal. pot (18 cm diameter x 18 cm deep).  I can make a few more measurements if you like.

Jim

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
This is Nerine (filifolia x krigei), my #1352.  The flowers are 45 - 55 mm across the face at widest point.  The bulbs are growing in a 1-gal. pot (18 cm diameter x 18 cm deep).  The leaves are intermediate between the parent plants in width, mostly flat, with perhaps a half-twist along their length.  They turned out not to be at all hardy in my climate, even though the filifolia parent came from the highest Drakensberg, or so I was told.

Jim

pontus

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 07:43:25 PM »
Hello Jim,

To me, the hesseoides looks a bit similar to nerine gracilis, but i have never seen hesseoides, so it might be that sp that you have..

Pontus

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 08:00:17 PM »
I feel the same Pontus

really looks as gracilis
as Jim mentioned already

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

pontus

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 07:40:31 PM »
Finally!!!, after 5 years of trying to grow this fabulous species, and 2 years whaiting to get this particularly large specimen sized bulb to flower, i finally managed, with alot of patience, heavy liquid feeding, and a hot and dry summer rest, followed by 2 inundations with liquid feed in mid auguat, to get nerine huttonniae to flower! what a fabulous sight, in the late evening sunshine, which makes teh flower petals almost glister in the sun!

I have some other bulbs grown since 2007, that are not yet flowering. This sp must be one of the slowest growing bulbs on earth! a 10-15 year old bulb from seed is only 2, perhaps 3 cm's across, and they need, in my experience, to be at least 4 or 5 cm's across. They seem to grow only about 0.5 cm's in almost 5 years..so i imagine my largest bulb must be at least 20-30 years old!

i also like the anthers, which are bright red, almost like red coloured spaghettii! and teh long lime green leaves!

Pontus

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »
after a long time waiting ( bulbs received from a friend in 2006 ) first flowers on my

Nerine humils

Enjoy
Hans 8)
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 11:38:22 PM »
Hans,

Surprising that it has taken 7 years to flower for you.  :o  I find it flowers every year for me here, even when it hasn't been repotted for years.  Dividing this species up doesn't seem to bother it in the slightest either, continuing to flower happily unlike some of the species that resent disturbance.  I'm guessing it is our hotter summers, or else just the clone I have that flowers so well.  :-\
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Angelo Porcelli

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 08:34:55 AM »
Finally!!!, after 5 years of trying to grow this fabulous species, and 2 years whaiting to get this particularly large specimen sized bulb to flower, i finally managed, with alot of patience, heavy liquid feeding, and a hot and dry summer rest, followed by 2 inundations with liquid feed in mid auguat, to get nerine huttonniae to flower! what a fabulous sight, in the late evening sunshine, which makes teh flower petals almost glister in the sun!

Pontus, I don't know in which climate you live, but I grow Nerine huttoniae outdoor in Mediterranean climate, with winter rainfalls and this species flowers every year in late August or September, it doesn't mind winter dry rest. Nerine laticoma instead seems to don't adapt to my climate, it probably reset the winter rainfalls, but I have some small plant started from seed in Northern Hemisphere and seem to adapt much better.

Angelo Porcelli
Apulia - Southern Italy
central Apulia - Southern Italy
Zone 9b - mediterranean climate

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »
Hans,

Surprising that it has taken 7 years to flower for you.  :o  I find it flowers every year for me here, even when it hasn't been repotted for years.  Dividing this species up doesn't seem to bother it in the slightest either, continuing to flower happily unlike some of the species that resent disturbance.  I'm guessing it is our hotter summers, or else just the clone I have that flowers so well.  :-\

Paul ,

the bulbs what I have received ( N.humilis ) was small ....so they need some time :D

But I have really to say that many Amaryllids are for me like Primadonna ( in germany we say "Zicken" )they flowers  really spontan and if anything is wrong with the clima they do not flower...when I think on my collection with cacti - they are really easy with flowering - every year !

Hans

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 08:47:15 AM »
in this time is flowering here a Nerine which I have received a Ammocharis baumii....but some nice members told me that this plant name is wrong .
Jim Shields thinks it is a Nerine filifolia ( I think now he is right )

I'm a little dissapointet that I have not the Ammocharis ...but Nerine filifolia is also a pretty plant !

Hans

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
Three that caught my eye this afternoon, especially the very large pearly white/pink.

johnw        - +5c and gloomy now, +20c tomorrow.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 06:11:30 PM »
It's the purple one which have caught my eyes John  :o   
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 07:19:38 PM »
I  miss my Nerines which were all killed in winter 2010 :'(
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal