We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rebuilding a nursery - Copton Ash  (Read 95863 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Rebuilding a nursery - Copton Ash
« Reply #510 on: August 13, 2016, 03:06:11 PM »
Ian, thanks! I will look at this. I've just received the book that describes the vision and making of the Carrifran Wildwood Project - extremely inspiring! It is highly significant and unusual in being an example of grass-roots ecological restoration of a mountain valley from what is described in the Foreward as a "Wet Desert" - in other words an expanse of hillside lacking tree cover and plant diversity, as a consequence (like so much of the Scottish landscape) of hundreds of years of grazing by sheep, and perhaps deer. Here are three quotes from it, starting with one from Prof. Aubrey Manning who wrote the forward:

"This book is a remarkable account of a great adventure, I wouldn't wish to describe it in any other terms. The adventure began with the vision of a few people who were prepared to work enormously hard to achieve something which many people before them have regarded as an impossible dream."

"... since we were determined to avoid getting routine statements of official policies, and instead focus on ambitious visions for the future." [the professional relationship with others that were in positions to advise and help, and support the project].

"This wonderful gesture had a palpable effect on our campaign. It showed us - and all those who heard about it - that this was a project capable of touching a deep chord in people who cared about the world they live in." [this was the gift of a painting by a well known wildlife artist, auctioned early in the campaign to raise funds to buy the land].

Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #511 on: August 13, 2016, 03:22:43 PM »
Tim, I have an article on mountain plants in the IRG. This might encourage further exploration of our native alpines. Glen Brittle, on Skye, is worth a look at. Follow the path up behind the caravan site.

IRG issue 78 of June 2016  http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2016Jun231466720211IRG78.pdf
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #512 on: August 13, 2016, 07:45:09 PM »
Thanks Maggi and fascinating article Ian. I wish we were less tied to the garden and a little closer to the Scottish hills! Some very interesting plants there. I have been reading several chapters from 'Mountain Flowers' by John Raven and Max Walters, which has opened my eyes more to these plants, just as your article does, and there is mention of the site for Diapensia lapponica (which we were not far from on one of our walks, but didn't know about). The rock ferns interest me especially. If and when we return to Skye and round about, I will make an itinerary of places to walk to!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ian mcdonald

« Reply #513 on: August 14, 2016, 08:45:19 PM »
Tim, a good book for Skye is The Botanist in Skye and Adjacent Islands by C.W. Murray and H.J.B. Birks. There are many other areas in Scotland not publicised but very rewarding for botanists.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #514 on: August 14, 2016, 10:15:01 PM »
Yes, I just got that from John Birks Ian - very helpful and authoritative. The local West Highland Free Press published an excellent magazine on Skye for visitors and the surrounding area (free at the Tourist Information centres) and there was an article that referred to this book. I was struck by the objectivity and journalistic integrity of this Press, which was founded on the Isle of Skye.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #515 on: August 31, 2016, 11:44:23 PM »
'A clearing in the woodland... and the demise of an Acer'.
Creating a new path through into the wilder overgrown part of the garden. The Acer, A. nikoense, was planted some 25 years ago but has succumbed to a series of very dry summers and removing it has given the incentive to begin clearing into a part of the garden that has not been touched for five or six years and become a wilderness of brambles and nettles. Here grows the beautiful Cornus alternifolia 'Argentea' with Itea ilicifolia, Woodwardia unigemmata and Trochodendron aralioides. There is the potential to metamorphose this part of the garden from a state of 'nature' if the momentum can be maintained (but that 'if' is a big word...). Pictures taken late one evening. The aim is to plant ferns and woodland perennials along this path which are able to tolerate our regular very dry summers, using grass cuttings and compost at first to build up the humus in the soil. In spring this area is a haze of sulphur-yellow from self-sowing Smyrnium perfoliatum. Arum italicum 'Marmoratum' and Cyclamen hederifolium also self-sow, along with hellebores and Brunnera macrophylla.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #516 on: August 31, 2016, 11:57:05 PM »
The second picture here is the real 'coal face', working into a jungle of brambles, nettles and self-sown sycamore seedlings from a huge hedgerow tree nearby. The third picture is the view diametrically opposed from our kitchen window and the purpose is to unite the two with a new sustainable planting - realistically a project for several years of consolidation. We will have to see if we can generate enough momentum and interest to enable this plan to come to fruition, but a good bit has been done up to now.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #517 on: September 01, 2016, 11:57:50 AM »
You're making great inroads to the jungle there, Tim - just love the woodland area.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #518 on: September 01, 2016, 02:20:25 PM »
The big question is whether I will come out the other end Maggi! It is amazing to see how much the garden has changed over some 35 years and in places is becoming woodland. When we get some rain this autumn and winter will be the interesting time, replanting from other places and bringing it more back to life.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #519 on: September 01, 2016, 03:52:47 PM »
It looks a bit claustrophobic Tim. More open glades needed? Perhaps you could ask for volunteers to join in?

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #520 on: September 01, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »
Ha ha Ian! Definitely more open glades needed and volunteers. We have very fertile soil - excellent for brambles and nettles (and fruit trees) - and the overgrown area is at long last being opened up. I think volunteers are too much to hope for but moral support is always good 🙂. Once the worst of the undergrowth is cleared it should be possible to return quite a bit to grass paths and replant the original beds. In a way this is similar to moving to an overgrown garden left by someone else with the vision that one might have of creating a new planting. Here the cause was quite serious illness and the garden is just the same one. We shall see, but only by looking back can you see how much has been done - the visitor just sees the present moment.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #521 on: September 01, 2016, 05:22:40 PM »
Watching with interest Tim.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #522 on: September 01, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »
I have faith in you, Tim!

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #523 on: September 02, 2016, 08:54:04 AM »
Thank you Maggi. The SRGC has given the opportunity to share our desire to rebuild the garden and nursery and that has been important to me. I don't see a garden as a set piece at the Chelsea Show for example, or a perfect specimen of a plant - however stimulating that may be to see - and this is a reason why I have also written in different ways about gardening on the Alpine Garden Society website. The support from other people is very valuable, and conversation 🙂.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #524 on: September 02, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »
Here in our garden we are seeing the  change to a much more wooded  garden as years go on. Yes, more work is needed to get us back in better control of what is happening but  really the overall ambience of our little space is  very pleasant. It is good that so many plants which please us  enjoy life under the trees and while our "style" is not to everyone's taste I am sure,  it gives us enormous pleasure and sustains our interest and gives a calm and beautiful surrounding for our daily lives - and that, for us , is what it is all about.  Much more about a  "landscape" really, a  habitat rather than a showcase of fancy stuff.  We think its working for our "souls"!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal