We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: clematis Bill Mackenzie  (Read 1190 times)

Tasmanian Taffy

clematis Bill Mackenzie
« on: July 18, 2012, 05:55:57 AM »
Hi, would anyone have a few seeds of Clematis Bill Mackenzie that I could buy.
I received some from the SRGC seed exchange last year but I think that I sowed them at the wrong time of year,as they all germinated and were looking healthy but we have had quite a few very cold frosty nights and now they are looking extremely sick in fact looking more like on there death bed I think.
Thanks John Bartush.

PeterT

Re: clematis Bill Mackenzie
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 07:20:41 PM »
It is deciduous, clematis often look dead in the winter
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:42:15 PM »
Dear Bill Mackenzie : he was a founder member of the SRGC, you know!
Here is a photo  from  "The Rock Garden"  of January 1994, of Bill cutting the Diamond Jubilee Cake with President Bette Ivey at the SRGC Discussion Weekend at St Andrews in 1993.
The cake was made by Margaret Taylor and had super 'SRGC' decoration  8)

Bette is wearing a Disa flower that I took for her- I'd forgotten that until I saw the photo again!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:01:11 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »
I don't have 'Bill Mackenzie' but I do have C vernayi (syn orientalis) L and S 13342, the original lemon (orange) peel clematis and the best of all the yellows in my opinion. I can send you seed if you'd like to try it.

However, as said above, these species are deciduous and my own seedlings at present look quite dead but I expect tiny points of green any day now as we're having a mild winter.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:36:52 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tasmanian Taffy

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:25:24 AM »
Hello Maggi,
I am glad that my plea for some Clematis seed brought back some happy memories for you and thanks for the information about Bill Mackenzie I did not know he was a founder member of the SRGC.I had seen this Clematis in flower in a Nursery in South Wales when I was home there a couple of years ago but I have never seen it for sale in Australia as yet,we have one here that the nurseries sell called Golden Tiara and I am not sure if it is the same although it looks very much like it,but even that one is very hard to get and very seldom for sale.
Best wishes John.B.

Tasmanian Taffy

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:26:55 AM »
Thanks Peter,
I hope that you are right I will keep my fingers crossed.

Tasmanian Taffy

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:35:03 AM »
Hi Leslie,
I hope both you and Peter are right about them dying off for winter I will be keeping a very close eye on them.We have had one of the coldest Winters for a long time here with heavy frost almost every night since the start of Winter but hopefully it should start warming up next month. I would like to try some of your lemon Clematis if you can spare a few seeds I will pm you with my postal address,
Best wishes John B.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal