We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Clematis marmoraria seed germination  (Read 1713 times)

brianw

Clematis marmoraria seed germination
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
Bought a plant of Clematis marmoraria with lots of seed just ripening at yesterdays plant fair. the first is still green but falls off easily. Will it germinate quicker if sown in this state or should I wait until I get more ripened as it will take until next spring regardless?
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Clematis marmoraria seed germination
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »
I'd  "sow as you go", Brian.  If it will literally be only a day or two till all is ready, then you could wait, but I'd sow it in batches if need be to have it sown fresh as possible.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Palustris

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »
Definitely needs to be sown fresh if it is to germinate. You can tell the live seeds from unfertilised ones by the thickness of the seed itself. Flat ones are no good, plump ones should germinate. Never tried sowing green ones, but had a lot of success in the past with properly ripe, ie pale brown, ones.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:48:20 PM »
I agree with the above. If the seed is at the falling off the plant stage, sow it now. Many if not all Ranunculaceae germinate best from greenish seed. Clematis is no exception. If you wait until spring it may not germinate at all or there would likely be a much smaller percentage of germination. You are lucky to buy a plant with seed on it. Of course it may have been pollinated by a species other than marmoraria. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

hanninkj

• Homepage Ton Hannink
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:55:50 PM »
Let your seeds drying for 2 weeks and put them in a soil mixture with 15% sand or perlite. I do this always with all my Clematis seeds from species and own crossings.
Keep your young plants not too wet because the New Zealand Group does not like it is my experience.

Ton

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal