We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fresh Ranzania japonica  (Read 5938 times)

John Aipassa

Fresh Ranzania japonica
« on: June 30, 2012, 01:03:19 PM »
Hello folks,

I am searching for fresh seed of Ranzania japonica. Does anyone have some surplus seed?

Thank you.
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Garden Prince

Re: Fresh Ranzania japonica
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:28:50 AM »
A couple of years ago I bought seeds of Ranzania from The Green Mile nursery (see http://www.greenmilenursery.be/. They have not listed it this year but maybe you can ask them.

I think that because of the bad weather we had over much of Western Europe this spring the seed setting for many spring flowering plants will be very poor this year.

My Ranzania seedlings did not survive the horror frost of  February '12  :'(.

John Aipassa

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
Thanks.
Seeds of Ranzania is about to become ripe soon, maybe Greenmile will list it in a few weeks. If any other member has got some to spare, please think of me ?  ;D

Cheers,
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »
I can most probably send you a berry. My experience is that they should be sown in outside climate directly from the berry and will (might  ;)) germinate the following spring. Once established they are very reliable. 
Just send me your address.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 06:26:44 AM »
John; I have grown Ranzania in several years and I got a big plant. I grow it on a raised peat flowerbed in nearly full sun, I know it is a plant for shade and I grow also the white form in full shade, also in a raised peat bed. Both plants got flower every year and the blue one sow itself, not much, but I have several small plants in pots where I grow them in well drained peat (peat with cat liter) Right now I have seeds and if you want I can also send you some fresh berry.   
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 05:15:40 AM »
My experience of Ranzania is limited but it seems fairly accomodating. I grow it originally in sandy soil with high humus content in a shady position. However I tried a division in a very open position in sandy soil with less humus content (next to potatoes) and that worked as well. What does not work is to try to keep it in pots outside in the winter. I think the rarity is not because it is difficult to eep it alive but because the seeds have extremely short shelf life and growth is generally slow and it is awkward to divide large specimen because of the massive root tangle. My oldest plat has been divided two times and does seed itself sparingly just as Kalle describes.
Göte
PS
My latitude is nearly 60° North and the sun is not so strong.

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

rosa

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 05:45:42 PM »
Had never heard of this plant until today - and yes, if there's some seed going somewhere, i'd be most interested. i garden at 60 degrees north, a little north of Gote Svanholm and - those little coincidences in life - i have Meconopsis 'Gote Svanholm' - not sure if it's the real thing - it came from Peter and Patricia Cohn, Kerrakar Gardens (not sure of the spelling). If there's still somebody out there on this forum, I look forward to a reply.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
Hi Rosa, good luck with the Ranzania seed search.

Trish and Peter Kohn don't open their  Kerracher Garden to the public any more - in case anyone was thinking of paying a visit on the Kylesku ferry.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »
Sorry I can't help Rosa, I'm looking for it too.
Göte doesn't seem to have been around here recently; I hope he's keeping well.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 10:47:38 PM »
Dr Pilous still got some fresh seeds
North of France

Garden Prince

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »
Dr Pilous still got some fresh seeds

FRESH? Don't think you can call last year's seeds fresh. Ranzania seeds should not be stored but when you have to then moist.

I bought FRESH seeds from Yuzawa Engei (http://www.yuzawa-engei.net/08English/index.html) two years ago. Were kept moist. Had excellent germination. They do not list seeds at the moment but say "We will renew our seeds list and start to sell fresh seeds from summer when we can collect the each species."  Highly recommended.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:26 AM »
Mine germinated without problem, they were sent in a moist packet
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:54:30 AM by Yann »
North of France

Eveline

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 07:34:25 AM »
Hello dear plant friends,
I would like to ask you, which soil mix do you use for sowing the fresh Ranzania japonica seeds? How long does it take, before they germinate? How do you overwinter the seedlings?
Many thanks in advance and kind regards from Carinthia/Austria
Eveline

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »
Eveline - I've never grown this wonderful plant but sowing seed would be the same as Jeffersonia and many other woodland plants with short viability. With all of these we sow freshly collected seed in a mix of sterilised loam, leafmould or composted bark, and grit or perlite - well drained but moisture retentive - and keep in a cool frame outside protected from mice etc. Germination occurs the following winter/spring, so around six months after sowing the seed, and is normally very reliable so long as the seed pots don't dry out. As soon as I see signs of germination in the outdoor frame I bring pots into a greenhouse where they are more protected from extremes of weather. The seedlings are tiny and slow to grow on, so aftercare is very important.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Eveline

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »
Thanks for your kind advice. Since I have no experience with this kind of plants, you helped me a lot. The seeds are on the trip from Japan, I expect them soon and I hope to do a good sowing job then.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal