We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pancratium maritimum  (Read 12459 times)

jomowi

Re: Pancratium maritimum
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 08:40:26 PM »
David

In one word no! someone once told me they had seen it and it is refered to in Stace "New Flora of the British Isles".  Try Google.

regards

Brian Wilson Aberdeen
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 08:51:10 PM »
That link you gave is interesting, David.... amazing what is growing , escaped, around the place!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 09:51:49 AM »
That link you gave is interesting, David.... amazing what is growing , escaped, around the place!

The location given for the plant, Slapton Sands, is about 30 minutes drive from where I live. The bay covers a fairly big area but if someone tells me when the optimum flowering period is I will attempt to seek it out.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

jomowi

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 08:54:39 PM »
Might be worth looking even now.  I have seen flowers quite late in the mediteranean area although Stace says summer.  The leaves are also quite easily seen, look in the dryer sand above the high tide line.  the flowers are fragrant.

Regards

Brian Wilson

jomowi

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 07:49:15 PM »
To make it harder, the "Interactive Flora Of The British Isles" refers to only 5 plants

Brian Wilson Aberdeen

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 08:33:45 PM »
The words 'needles' and 'haystacks' spring to mind! Never mind I will have to have a go. I think we are promised a gale this week-end and if it is a South Westerly Slapton Sands is THE place to be.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 01:44:42 PM »
I think we are promised a gale this week-end and if it is a South Westerly Slapton Sands is THE place to be.
I don't know about the weekend but we are being blown off the face of the earth at the minute... that's what it feels like, anyway! I wouldn't be going anywhere near our beach in this, that's for sure.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 02:41:02 PM »
I've heard it's the remains of "Noel" that have come your way Maggi...
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 07:55:02 PM »
Thought you might like to see a picture of Start Bay which contains Slapton Sands the UK site of Pancratium maritimum.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 07:57:58 PM »
Apart from the body of water to the right, it looks quite like St Cyrus, just south of Aberdeen!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 08:10:05 PM »
Sorry I had meant to include some other information with the picture. Slapton Sands was where the American forces trained for the Normandy Invasion (World War 2). At that time the residents of the village of Slapton, as well as of many other very small villages in the area, had to leave their homes in order that they could be used for training and billeting purposes, over 3000 people were affected. A large number of American service men lost their lives as a result of live ammunition being used in training exercises and at one stage a German U Boat got into Start Bay and many were killed. The official figures say that some 800 men were lost in the training exercises but it is still said today that many bodies were buried in secret mass graves in order to disguise the real scale of the losses.

The lake that can be seen in the picture is Slapton Ley and is a freshwater lake retained by the shingle bank of Slapton Sands. It is now a nature reserve and field study centre. Good for bird watchers too.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »
Apart from the body of water to the right, it looks quite like St Cyrus, just south of Aberdeen!

Might be a little bit warmer ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »
Sorting through my pictures from the summer, I came across this shot of Pancratium from Kew (in the Queen's Herb Garden next to Kew Palace). 15th century herbalist, John Gerard, has a few advisory words on the subject. Hope the text is legible. If not, I'll type it out for you....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 11:20:28 AM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Chrisx

Encore Pancratium Maritinum!
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 11:13:24 AM »
Hi all
I am new to the group and an interested but inexperienced gardener.  Just posting a brief update on PM:  We have just returned from Halki - tiny island off Rhodes - and saw sea daffodils for the first time.  Absolutely gorgeous and the scent - heavenly. 
My Greek is not that good but the local name for it is Zaforás and I was told that it only ever grows in sand and very near the sea.  So - to all those trying to grow it - maybe it needs a little salt in its diet?  A firm in Cornwall is apparently selling bulbs so I just have to try growing them.  Wish me luck!  :-)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: Encore Pancratium Maritinum!
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »
Hi, Chrisx, welcome to the Forum.... good luck with your bulbs.... we'll expect photos of your progress, of course!

By the way, I'll merge this with another Pancratium thread, for the sake of neatness!!  ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal