We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Keith Singleton Compost  (Read 9324 times)

Darren

Keith Singleton Compost
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »
I've used the superb Keith Singleton J.I. composts and grit for years but getting the amount I need from local suppliers was never easy. Susan discovered that we could get a mixed pallet delivered directly, and at much less cost than the usual retail price.

I ordered a mixed pallet online, phoned with my card number on a monday morning (speaking to Mr Singleton himself - a nice chap with numerous mutual acquaintances). He said that as we are relatively local he would see if his own truck might be passing rather than sending the order by palletline. On tuesday he rang to tell me they could deliver around midday on the wednesday!

At 10 minutes past noon on the wednesday the truck pulled up and I expected to have to carry the bags to the garage from the pavement but the delivery driver said he reckoned he could get his little forklift up our steep drive and get the palet right into the garage. 5 minutes later it was done and he was on his way.

Here is the URL for the pallet deals:

http://www.cumbriagardensandpetsdirect.co.uk/main.asp?category=Gardening+Pallet+Deals

Superb service and excellent products. Here is the pallet with 12 bags J.I number 2, 12 bags coarse grit, 10 bags sand, 1 bag dolomite lime, 12 bags mulch/soil conditioner. 3 bags fine composted bark. Delivered right into the garage.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Re: Keith Singleton Compost
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 10:11:56 PM »
Oh you lucky man! I wish we had someone like that nearby. :) :) :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Mavers

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »
Hi Darren, is that a 475kg pallet or 1200kg in your garage?

The products offered seem very good.

What is it you like about their JI composts?

Mike
Mike
Somerset, UK

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 02:11:42 AM »
Darren

it is super stuff and they are a great firm but my last delivery was a minimum of 2 one tonne pallets.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Darren

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 08:24:51 AM »
That is a 1200kg Pallet Mike - actually 1210kg as the JI is in 24kg bags so it is hard to get exactly 1200kg in a mixed palllet. I like their JI because it seems to have the right amount of humus in it and keeps its structure for a long time compared to Bowers which turns to dust if I leave it dry in pots whilst my bulbs are dormant. I also find it gives better and more sustained growth, plus it feels and smells great with that proper humussy smell which is hard to describe. The lack of weed seeds is also a bonus.

The grit is smaller and more rounded than the sharp stuff that our local garden centres stock too.

Tony - I think the minimum varies with distance and hence delivery cost. We are lucky as they deliver to garden centres at Overton and in Garstang so their own truck passes us quite frequently. I know they deliver to Logan botanic gardens, and to nurseries in Northumberland so distance possibly not a great object if order is big enough (say a local group clubbing together for a couple of pallets).

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
We cant get any good JI over here
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »
 renaming this thread to make it more obviously about compost and not a person!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 05:01:29 PM »
Just by way of comparison J Arthur Bowers to Green Ore (I got my money back from JAB!)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 05:52:35 PM »
Darren not sure if you're still reading this thread but if you are do you use the ordinary JI or the special alpine mix?
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

SusanS

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 08:01:24 PM »
Hi Chris,

Darren buys the straight JI and then tinkers with it  ::)  I'll mention your query to him tomorrow - have sent him to bed with a hot lemon drink as he is coming down with a cold.

Susan
Darren's t'other half

ChrisB

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »
Hi Susan
Thanks tell him together better soon.  Are you going to the Kendal Show?  There's a chance I may be going with Pearl and Mike Dale.  Fingers crossed....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Darren

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 08:13:06 AM »
Thanks Chris - I'm vertical for the time being but can't say I'm feeling better! Have to be at work today as I'm currently training to take on a new role next month (two weeks to learn my predecessor's 20 years of organic chemistry experience before he leaves - oh and the main instrument has developed a fault which needs fixing before we can go any further).

Susan is right - I just get the straight JI and mix with grit.

We will certainly be at Kendal as we are actively involved in running the show. Susan is likely to be on the computer and I will be running the members plant stall for at least part of the day. Really hope you can make it!

ChrisB

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
Glad you're a bit better.  Hope to see you next week then... Hope there's plenty of parking... Think quite a few people might come over...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Darren

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 11:01:01 AM »
Hope to see lots of visitors! A quick look at the school on Google street view suggests reasonable parking at the school but also there is a pay-and-display only 100yds away at the leisure centre.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:07:38 AM by Darren »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 12:06:25 PM »
Hope to see lots of visitors! A quick look at the school on Google street view suggests reasonable parking at the school but also there is a pay-and-display only 100yds away at the leisure centre.

See this post for a link to maps......  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10806.msg284221#msg284221
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal