We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dicentra cucullaria  (Read 2925 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Dicentra cucullaria
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 05:05:33 AM »
Mine all flower prolifically (two forms), and frankly, never gave it a second thought because they seem so easy; too easy in fact... if they were not so ephemeral and summer dormant, they'd be a dang weed spreading far and wide... in fact I do think of it as weedy, but I do love the lush dissected spring foliage and wonderful flowers.  They seem easy in almost any condition, but do best with shade in a nice humus soil.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

ronm

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »
Thank you Brian and Mark, for your comments :) :)

I'm going to make sure ours get plenty of water this Summer and through into Autumn.  :)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 05:41:50 PM »
I find it quite weedy since the rice grains pop up everywhere in my woodland and masquerade as Corydalis turtschaninowii. They do flower but only well fed ones do and then not a lot. They do not seem to need a lot of light to flower I get the impression that it is more a case of feeding. I always water the area if the soil is starting to get dry so I do not know what the influence from watering might be.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

ronm

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 06:30:52 PM »
Thanks Gote. What is it you feed with please?

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »
When I redo a woodland area I usually mix in leaf mould, a limited amount of well aged cow manure an some bone meal. I topdress with amixture of sandy woodsy soil with some sieved peat and some bonemeal.
Perhaps I should add that this side of the North Sea, peat is abundandly produced by nature.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

ronm

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »
Thanks Gote. That sounds like a well balanced feeding regime and not one that is heavily weighted towards the production of flowers and fruit.  As you flower them, and I don't, I will adopt your style of feeding regime. Maybe even post a few flower pics next spring :o 8) ::)
Thanks for the information / advice,  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal