We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Problems on Meconopsis?  (Read 1104 times)

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
Problems on Meconopsis?
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:13:12 PM »

Those Meconopsis integrifolia are now giving me worries.
Sown 2008, germinated 2009, and since spring 2011 planted in the bed.
The new growth in early May was wonderful, but soon I noticed the older leaves turning yellow/brown, as new ones were coming up in the middle of the rosette.
I thought it would be normal, and of no consequence as long as new leaves were appearing faster as dead ones.
But as time goes by, I begin to find one of the Meconopsis getting a dominating yellow colour, and wonder if the others are going the same way too in the next weeks.
There is still new growth in the middle, even for the one that looks bad, but rather less than before, thus the more and more yellowish look.
I thought that perhaps the plants were preparing the flowering spike underground, and gave their strength in it rather than in the leaves, but so far, no trace of any future flowers to come.

I have never grown M.integrifolia, and don't know how it "lives" or if this is normal and sign of a flowers to come. I just know it is monocarp.

Please don't tell me they have done 3 years, perhaps the most difficult ones, to die now, probably only one year before a possible flowering  ::)

Opinions of M.integrifolia growers really wished!
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal