We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Beginners orchids  (Read 1060 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Beginners orchids
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:38:06 PM »
After many years of growing Dactylorhizas I would like to move to greenhouse orchids or some that can be grown in troughs or raised beds.

Can someone suggest some?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

monocotman

Re: Beginners orchids
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:52:32 AM »
Mark,

this is a pretty big area with so many options - will the greenhouse have any form of heat?

David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:29:05 AM »
better to say no heat although I have heating cables .... hardy orchids then
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

monocotman

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »
Mark,

I'm sure that there are others who have more ideas than myself. I have a cold greenhouse and grow a few hardy orchids - the various colour forms of Ponerorchis graminifolia are good as well as the more usual array of hybrid pleiones. It is too hot for cyps unless you have a very heavily shaded house. I grow mine on the north side of the house,

Regards,

David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Pauli

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 05:51:37 AM »
Hello Mark;

I would also stress the word ventilation, especially in summer!

Most Chinese Cyps. appreciate a rather dry winter - rather easy in a cold greenhouse.
There are quite a few Chinese and Japanese Calanthes, that should be hardy in your climate.
Pleiones are worth a try - a friend of mine has overwintered forrestii outside with some protection here in Austria 2 times, but last winter with -19C was too much. But formosana and bulbocodioides at least should work, and of course limprichtii.
Then there are Bletillas apart from striata
Cymbidium goeringii

If you supply some extra heat for the coldest days, then Disas would be another wide choice!

Perhaps place the house  in the shadow of a deciduous tree so that it could not get to hot in summer!
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

enrico

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 03:02:54 PM »
I would like to try some Ponerorchis graminifolia during next season... I know I'm a bit early but can anyone soggest some reseller?

Pisa, Italy

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal