We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Myosotis pulvinaris  (Read 2641 times)

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
Myosotis pulvinaris
« on: January 22, 2012, 09:22:43 AM »
Hi

I've got two plants in the garden, slow but beautiful growth every year, very tight cushion. But I don't remember having seen more than 2 or 3 flowers on both in the last 6/7years.
The myosotis gets plenty of light and water/air moisture in summer, enough snow cover in winter, but is reluctant to offer just a few more flowers every summer.
I have seen pics of it in full flower after having sarched here on the forum. Well, that's clearly something else ::)
Anybody guesses what I could do to get it somewhat..."whiter", just during a few days a year?  ;D

Philippe
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Myosotis pulvinaris
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
I can't help you with this at all Philippe as I've ever only killed the plant but I'm sure that Steve (Jandals) or Dave (Toolie) or David Lyttle could help, or perhaps some of the UK gardeners who grow and show it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martinr

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
I've had a similar experience with the closely allied Myosotis glabrescens. It does slightly better under cold glass than outdoors and flowering seems to diminish with age (although that could indicate a nutrient deficiency in the potting mix). I think Ron McBeath used to say he got it to flower well out of doors, maybe he can shed some light on its needs.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:12:51 PM »
I get it to a good cushion, but it is never covered in flowers.  Just googled it and there are some wonderful photos of them covered in flowers so obviously I'm doing something wrong....  I got mine from Ron, but when I did it was not free flowering then.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »
It's a tricky plant at the best of times Chris so if you get it to a good cushion you are doing something - quite a lot - RIGHT. As with many of our alpines I imagine it would like masses of air movement and cool air at that, so Ron McB growing it outside is probably doing the best thing, but as I've already said, I've only killed it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:02:52 PM »
I'll just enjoy what I've got I guess.  I have pulled big pieces off it and potted them on and they seem to adapt quickly and well, but not many flowers.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

alan jones

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:55:27 AM »
 I have been growing Myosotis pulvinaris for several years in one of my patio troughs.  I did not realise it was a New Zealand plant until a couple of months ago.  I have marked myself down on that one, especially as I'm a member of the NAGS and my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren live over there.  Anyway, I have to report that there appears to be no difficulty in it making a fine cushion grown outside, despite our horrid winter conditions, and that it has produced numerous fine self-sown cushions from seed, several of which I have taken into the alpine house.  In all instances, as  mentioned by other correspondents, the flowers have been sparse.  I am would be most interested to hear from anyone with first-hand experience of its native growing conditions...to see if any clues might be forthcoming in our approach to growing it.   

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal