We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mottling on my peppers and chillies  (Read 1376 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Mottling on my peppers and chillies
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:13:54 PM »
I have this mottling spreading through my chilli plants :'(i apologise to anybody i promised chillie plants to but i have destroyed a few and would hate to spread it.Could somebody clear this up for me please am i doing the right thing.

tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Re: Mottling on my peppers and chillies
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
Hi Dave,

If the marks on the leaves look as if layers of the leaf are separating then something is probably living in it. Try peeling back the layers and looking at it under a magnifying glass to if you can see anything. No doubt someone will have a more definite answer. Try looking up images of leaf miner.
Susan
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:31:36 PM by Susan Band »
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

daveyp1970

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 02:02:36 PM »
Susan there is no sign of leaf miner(i truly wish there was),i just looked at my plants and another 4 have these symptoms on there new growths. :-[
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

ronm

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »
What compost are they growing in Davey? Are they in a greenhouse?
They do look as though they are being kept quite wet? Unlike tomatoes, cucumbers etc. we keep our chillis on the very dry side.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:12:58 PM by ronm »

Ezeiza

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
It is clearly a virus symptom. Some insect has inoculated virus in your plants. Avoid touching when destroying them. The sap will be highly contagious particularly to tomatoes, egg plant and potato. The mix will also be useless and will have to be burnt. Do not use it in the garden as the virus is systemic and will be present in every bit of the plant, including tiny roots in the discarded mix. And the pots will have to be disinfected as well.

Do you smoke?
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

JohnLonsdale

• Edgewood Gardens
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »
I doubt it is a virus at all.  The damage is very localized and restricted and seems to spread from an initial focus.  I don't think a virus would show symptoms on multiple distinct plants simultaneously.  IMHO something other than a virus is enjoying itself within your leaves. 

J.
John T Lonsdale PhD
407 Edgewood Drive,
Exton, Pennsylvania 19341, USA

Home: 610 594 9232
Cell: 484 678 9856
Fax: 801 327 1266

Visit "Edgewood" - The Lonsdale Garden at http://www.edgewoodgardens.net

USDA Zone 6b

maggiepie

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
David,
Are any of these chillies Fish X ?
Are you sure it is damage and not just variegation on the leaves?
Probably a silly question.

Helen Poirier , Australia

Ezeiza

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
Keep then and make sure their sap makes contact with the rest of your plants, Davey.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

daveyp1970

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »
What compost are they growing in Davey? Are they in a greenhouse?
They do look as though they are being kept quite wet? Unlike tomatoes, cucumbers etc. we keep our chillis on the very dry side.
Ron these are in  a greenhouse and they are in john innes compost mixed with my own compost, these had just been watered,Ron i don't grow cucumbers ect only chillies,they get water once a week at the moment if they need it,i do how ever hold back on the watering later on to increase the heat ;D.I feed with an organic fert at half strength and seaweed extract at half strength.I have been told fish emulsion is very good for them
Helen there is no fish or variegated genes in the make up as far as i know these marks are now been on five different kinds of anuums and one chinense,the seed from all these came from different sources.I will bin them to be on the safe side,i have to protect what plants i have left.
I don't smoke Alberto but my uncles does who spends time with my plants,i too wondered if it was tmv.Thanks for everybodies advice.
Ron if your ever down this side of the A1,i'll let you try my 7pot jam ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

ronm

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »
Looking forward to trying it Davey.  :o :o :-X
What do you have it with?

daveyp1970

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 06:52:22 AM »
On its own by the spoonfull its lovely but also with some Cheese melted on toast is lovely or just normal cheese also as layer on a lemon cheese cake above the biscuit base,ice cream, with noodles mix it with some light soya sauce.My friend has sent me what he has left in his freezer,there's some bhuts,fatalii,yellow7 pots i will make a batch when i am better and send you a small jar to try,if you would like?I won't kid you it has a good burn but nothing to intense i promise.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

ronm

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 05:35:48 PM »
Sounds just perfect Davey. 8) 8). I'm thinking it may be nice with some of our wonderful North Sea Langoustines or their slightly smaller relatives,  ;D ;D ;D. ( gastric juices flowing already, :o ).
Thanks for the offer, I'll be in touch,  :).
Get well very soon, ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal