We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dwarf Iris  (Read 1234 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Dwarf Iris
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
I have no idea to which group these irises belong so I have had to start a new thread .

The first two pictures are of Iris reichen cachu  -  at least, that is what is on the label.  It is about 10cms. high and was obtained from a member's plant sale ages ago.

The other is unknown and seems to grow quite happily in the shade - again from a member's plant sale.  This is slightly bigger at 15 cms. 

I hope that you are all mightily impressed that I have gone metric.  Actually, they were measured in inches and then converted by multiplying by 2.54 !   
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
Re: Dwarf Iris
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
The first one is a bearded species, Iris reichenbachii from the Balkans.

Not sure about the second one, but I would guess it's a small hybrid Pacific Coast Native iris.
Tom Waters
Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises
Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA

USDA zone 6

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Dwarf Iris
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:33:27 PM »
I'g go with that Tom (and Tom) so the first could go in the Bearded Iris thread and the other in the newer thread with assorted non-bearded species. I'd put is as close to what we know as innominata, almost certainly with hybrid blood in it.

Yesterday I potted two only, seedlings of Iris delavayi, a very tall species in the sibirica group. They were from this last spring's NZIS seed. One is perfectly normal and growing on well, the other, almost as strongly growing, which is surprising, is nearly white except for a very fine line of green down one edge of each leaf. With so little chlorophyll I would have expected it to have died by now but it's looking really well. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal