We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: picture and growing tips on arisaema flavum var abbrievatum?  (Read 650 times)

pontus

Hello Everyone,

does anyone have any growing tips on arisaema flavum var abbrievatum, or a picture showing how you grow them?

is it as easilly grown as most arisaemas, in a half shady spot in a well drained humus rich soil, with the tubers stored in a cold dry place over winter to minimise risk of winter rotting ..etc of the tubers?

Pontus

PeterT

Re: picture and growing tips on arisaema flavum var abbrievatum?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »
I grew several lots from seed.  It was hardy for several years in a dry sandy soil, in good light, with leafmould, but I did not notice it last year. I believe it has a wide distribution including some cold areas.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: picture and growing tips on arisaema flavum var abbrievatum?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »
I find it very easy indeed, more so than any other Arisaema, very reliable in both flower and seed and good in either pot, trough or garden. Mine grows to a max height of about 15cms. It makes no demands re composts, just a reasonable, humusy compost, well drained and it doesn't mind full sun so long as the compost is a little moist. Shade OK too.

Our new profiles don't give location of where we come from (unless yet again I'm missing something obvious) so maybe my climate is easier than yours Pontus, but I'm sure you should have no problems with it. I've just cleaned this year's seed if anyone would like some.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal