We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Irises-Non-Bearded 2012  (Read 20588 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Irises-Non-Bearded 2012
« on: May 10, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
As we have the following threads:-
Bearded Irises-2012
Oncos-2012
Regelias-2012
Junos-2012
Reticulate Irises-2012

the only gap appears to be for the Non-Bearded species and cultivars, hence my starting this thread.

My Dutch Irises are about three weeks later than they were last year and I've lost quite a few in my quest to have a garden fence that won't blow down at the first zephyr- like puff of wind. The fencing chap must have had feet like barges! So here's a couple I have left that the weather will surely ruin if I don't picture them now.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Re: Irises-Non-Bearded 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:48:42 PM »
Dutch Iris, Eye Of The Tiger

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »
Very nice that one Michael, I must look out for it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:28:02 PM »
Pacific Coast Hybrid Iris

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »
Michael, I've never tried them but I read somewhere they needed acid soil. Have you found that?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »
No David, my soil is all limestone and I haven't added anything but more stones, (Pea shingle) for drainage. Burn the books ;D

I can send you some bits in the Autumn to try if you like.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:18:07 PM by Michael J Campbell »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »
Michael, will PM you.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 12:28:11 AM »
They do however, like a humusy soil and good drainage.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »
Thanks Lesley.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
Grown from seed (SRGC Seed Ex. 08/9-1998) sown 10 September 2009 and flowering for the first time Iris prismatica I have no previous experience of this species, does it look right?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 12:39:19 AM »
Open to correction here David but I don't think it is prismatica which should have long, thin upright foliage to 70cms high (according to Mathew) and which bends over. I think it should be a deeper, purer purple or blue/violet colour. Yours from both the flower form and the foliage looks like one of the thousands of Pacific Coast hybrids. Nice though, pretty colour. Mathew says prismatica is easy in the UK but the couple of times I've had it (from seed) it has died quite quickly. A friend a little north of here grows it well and also has the white form Mathew mentions.

Iris prismatica comes from the eastern seaboard of North America, from Nova Scotia south so maybe JW knows it in the wild. I can't find a picture of it though Google will produce something I suppose.

Edit: Oh yes, it does. Heaps of pictures and information. A really nice iris but NOT yours.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:55:29 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
Thanks Lesley, I looked in Mathew and was fairtly certain mine wasn't right and you've confirmed it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »
A couple in flower today.

1.   Iris Holden Clough
2.    Iris Broadleigh Rose

Brooke, Norwich, Norfolk.

Web site:  http://www.zen62218.zen.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 08:19:07 PM »
In 2007 I made a sowing of Iris sintenisii from Exchange seed. I got good germination and potted them on annually before planting out around seven plants in a bed I created particularly for species irises in 2009. They did rather well and below is a picture of a group of them and a close up last year.

They did so well that they took over a somewhat larger portion of the bed than I had anticipated. As they came back into life this year I noticed that a couple of large dandelions had thrived in the middle of the clump (There are a couple of grassed amenity areas near me absolutely full of dandelions and I get a lot of trouble from seedlings) as had a creeping weed that looks much like an oxalis of some kind.

I couldn't let them go on like that so about three weeks ago I decided to clean them up and split them up (yes, I know, not the right time of year!). Result: I've lost the lot.

If anyone has a spare plant at the right time of year I'd be very happy to refund postage and package costs and if anyone has spare seed I'd be happy for some of that too.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 09:41:18 PM »
Iris chrysophylla
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal