We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 3rd Annual Fife Tulip Festival and East Lothian Event  (Read 2358 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
3rd Annual Fife Tulip Festival and East Lothian Event
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:21:24 PM »
The 3rd Tulip Festival is to be held at Cambo Gardens, Kingsbarns, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 8QD, Scotland on 26 Aprl to 7 May.

Representatives from Bloms bulbs will be present 27-30 April to give practical advice on all matters concerning tulips.

In addition to thousands of blooms in the gardens there wil be cut flower displays/exhibitions as well as workshops and tulip photography courses.

More details can be obtained from www.camboestate.com or by contacting 01333 450 054
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: 3rd Annual Fife Tulip Festival and East Lothian Event
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »
Thanks for this Frazer.... I was just about to post about this event.

There has been a slight change to original plans :The Talk by Helen Elliott of Bloms Bulbs has been changed to Friday 4 May.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:06:04 PM »
Dont think I'll have any Tulips out or green by then. Third year in a row they have struggled with the warmth and lack of rain
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 03:46:04 PM »
Mark

I held back the planting of my tulips until late November.

The mice/voles got quite a lot and then (I)*went away to see Wordsworth's daffs in the Lakes only to get home and find that most had already bloomed and blown in the Scottish tropical heatwave (over 22C). I had wanted to show at the end of April and early May but fear that I'll have nothing left of any quality. After two previous years when everything was severly frosted I suppose that I'll now be reduced this year to the gardener's solace of "there's always next year"!.

* inserted after being duly corrected
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:46:49 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »
Very Literary mice and voles you have Fraser? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 07:18:50 PM »
Very Literary mice and voles you have Fraser? ;D

and I pride myself on my draughting drafting! ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:47:35 PM by FrazerHenderson »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »
It is not just Fife that has a tulip event. North Berwick in Bloom set one up this spring simply by putting examples of all 15 divisions of tulips around the town. Each bed, barrel or tub has a large label which gives the variety name and the group it belongs to. A leaflet explains the types of tulip and guides people to where the tulips are  planted. With Maggi's help I shall try to post a copy. The idea could easily  be taken  up by other gardening clubs or groups. It has attracted the attention of the Beechgrove TV cameras and a short clip is scheduled to go out this  Thursday - 3rd May.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:31:51 PM »
an example of a planter with its label.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 09:26:51 PM »
some more pictures of tulips - these are species or their derivatives. Many are already over this year which has been early.
First the multi-headed T. turkestanica in the Edwardian rockery - this  seems to do better in the ground than in pots where it often flops over.
Then Shakespeare one of many cultivars derived from T. kaufmanniana.
The selection from T. fosteriana known as Red Emperor has the biggest flowers I have seen on a tulip.
The variegated form of T. praestans -Unicum- is liked by some and loathed by others!
A bit later and still in flower is T. greigii Red Riding Hood with nice brown marbling on the leaves. The close up shows the best protected bulbs in town as the barrel is at the door of the police station.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:44:54 PM »
some views of the old double early Peach Blossom which is not that early ! They work  well with bedding violas and the floral effect  changes  with the type of viola and the stage the tulip flowers are at.
then bigger tulips with another old variety - the  single early  Grand Duc which think is the same variety as Keizerskroon- note the differences betwen the early classical  tulip shape and the  later fully open flowers.
Finally back to small species tulips with a form  of T. clusiana - still in flower- other forms  come in pink and white but have the same pattern. Then T. Little Beauty also  still in full flower- these tulips increase well in the rock garden.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:46:44 PM by Stan da Prato »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
For those unable to catch Stan ( in front of the camera for a change!)  speaking about the North Berwick Tulip Festival on the BBC programme, The Beechgrove Garden, on either the TV or the i-player, you may at least be able to read about it.. beginning on page 7 of this pdf :
http://www.beechgrove.co.uk/images/factsheets/Factsheet_6_PDF.pdf

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:43:19 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal