We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: iris rosenbachiana  (Read 604 times)

pontus

iris rosenbachiana
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »
Here comes a picture of one of my favourite juno irises, and probably one of my favourite bulbs in general..

iris rosenbachiana darwas strain (to the right) and iris rosenbachiana haragon (to the left)

these all flowered profusely this year, making a superb display with their highly scented flowers!

Pontus

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: iris rosenbachiana
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
These are beautiful Pontus, as are all Juno irises. It seems they are planted in the open garden. Where do you live that it is possible for this species to thrive as a garden plant rather than in a pot?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

pontus

Re: iris rosenbachiana
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »
hello leslie,

I live near geneva in switzerland, and these rosenbachianas always survive -15°c in the ground without any problem, even cold as they are emerging in february/march does not seem to bother them. they do come from very cold areas with harsh climates in the wild, so seem well suited to cold. what they dont like is too much moisture in summer when dormant

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal