We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Glasgow SRGC Show, 5th May 2012  (Read 7655 times)

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
Re: Glasgow SRGC Show, 5th May 2012
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
Captions anyone??
For 039 'West of Scotland man looks on in amazement  as Englishman  demonstrates skill in housework'

veteran vet

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 07:19:21 PM »
Only seven more to go
Saxifraga exarata adenophora from Ian Kidman...as I remember used to be quite common, not so often seen now?
Saxifraga pubescens 'Snowcap' from Tom Green, another south of the border raider
Sedum humifusim from Shiela and Brian Smethurst, the larger of the two they had brought with them
Shortia soldanelloides ilicifolia from Jean Wylie...good to see her looking pretty good just a few weeks post op...certainly could still talk plenty!!!sorry for the poor pic as was a really nice plant
Tetraneuris scaposa from Richard Barr
Tulipa linifolia from C & D Shaw
Viola spathulata from Ian Kidman...I have to admit to being one who is not overly wowwed by this viola, even given its rarity but lots of people are.

Down to the V's so thats my lot. Re Stans comment on names of plants etc etc I feel that for me individual plants and what they are called is my thing if you like but I do like to click on a web site and get an overall feel/impression of what the show has been like so it needs both types of photograph to do that, just people pics are not my scene even though they get more hits by far than plant pics...c'est la vie

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 09:05:58 PM »
Amazing plants !
Stunning pictures !
Thanks all !!  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

angie

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »
Thanks Stan, great seeing all these lovely flowers and off course seeing all the folks as well. It must take a lot of time presenting all these pictures to us, Appreciate it though  :)

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 11:34:33 PM »
So many fine plants but Jean's Shortia wins the day for me. Truly magnificent. 8)

Captions?
108 - "Here's tae us"
039 - "Can't they keep their bl...y dogs at home?"
109 - "I KNOW I put it there."
112 - "Oi, you there, don't stash your dog poo in my basket."
116 - "Camera section please. Piano, tranquillo."

Is there any point in trying to use a toilet that is disabled? I'd go with the flickering light if need be. ::)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:38:17 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »
Lovely set of photos capturing all aspects of what looked like a good show.

I can understand the flickering light warning.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

johnny-l

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
As Secretary of the Glasgow Show I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who helped in its organisation and  made it so memorable.  Bear in mind that Shows do not arise from some osmotic serendipity but are the culmination of much hard work, diligence and dedication so I make no apologies for the following litany of names.

Bill Robinson: assistant Show Sec and keeper of the sacred table cloths
Anne Bush: and her family of helpers who run the tea-room and help fuel the internal engine when spirits flag
Ian Doig: overseer of the club plant stall and his merry band of sellers who help find us that little garden gem
Jackie Thomlinson: who deputised for Peggy Anderson, our treasurer, and did a magnificent job of liaising and keeping track
                              of the monies
The stewards: table and pot ""movers", Show recorders, door duty etc among whom were Richard Barr, Rodger Smyth,   
                      John di  Paolo, Richard Green, David & Avril Walkinshaw, Alison Ward and her husband, Bob Edge, Steven
                      MacFarlane, Mike & Sue Thornley, Ann Carmichael, Val Prentice and my apologies if I've omitted anyone
Sue Simpson & George Watt: who ventured into Milngavie town centre mid-morning to hand out flyers
Dave Riley: who will immortalise the Show in his Journal report, Sandy in his web photo essay
Glassford Sprunt: ditto in his photographs
Carole & David Shaw: who brought the club books down all the way from Forres
Anne & Viv Chambers:  for bringing and selling her botanical cards which contribute to group funds
Anne & Sandy Leven: ditto the club merchandise and banners
Liz Mills: our President for handing out prizes
Judges: Barry Caudwell, Lionel Clarkson, Struan Harley, Bette Ivey, Ian Kidman and Elspeth Mackintosh (Lynn Bezzant was
             so looking forward to judging but took ill........get well soon, Lynn, you were sorely missed)
Nurseries: Ardfearn, Hartside, Kevock and Rumbling Bridge
Sam Sutherland: who carted the surplus seed trays from Nairn ( at last week's Highland Show) and will take them up
                           to Aberdeen in a fortnight's time
Carole & Ian Bainbridge: through Carol's superb stewardsip the Joint Rock runs seamlessly with the Shows
Contributors: of food and plants, who took posters; and all those who just came to see a wonderful alpine display
Exhibitors: frae a' the airts, Scottish & English (of which more later ), your plants make the Show a tangible reality
Forumists: all the David Baileys and Annie Liebovitzes (you know who you are) who post dazzling images that allow others
                  to "visit" the Show in  the comfort of their own living room. Lang may yir lums reek or keep snapping for posterity.
Once again. a big thank you to everyone above - mea culpa if I've left anyone out - you've made me so proud and the Dear Green Place even greener.
John Lee

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »
John, I think that's the most I've ever heard you "say" - and what a great "speech"  with truth and gratitude in every word.
Well said !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »
I don't suppose that you can really thank the most important person responsible for the show, can you, John? If it had not been for all the work that you put into the event there would have been no point in any of us bringing ourselves and our plants to Milngavnie on Saturday. So, thank you for your efforts in making the day a success. Also, thank YOU for persuading Carol and myself to come back to Milngavnie after too long an absence. We had a great weekend and were delighted to have played our very small part in this spectactular show.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Carol Shaw

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »
I don't suppose that you can really thank the most important person responsible for the show, can you, John? If it had not been for all the work that you put into the event there would have been no point in any of us bringing ourselves and our plants to Milngavnie on Saturday. So, thank you for your efforts in making the day a success. Also, thank YOU for persuading Carol and myself to come back to Milngavnie after too long an absence. We had a great weekend and were delighted to have played our very small part in this spectactular show.

I can only second what David has written you stayed calm when through all the rejigging of the benches in the run up to judging and were constantly beavering away throughout the day
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

veteran vet

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »
I was sorry that I had not posted a picture of a plant exhibited by the Show Sec even though I had taken one, just that I thought my pic was pretty poor, however as no one else seems to have posted a red prize plant for John I have resurrected the pic from my computer recycle bin and post it now. Quite how show secs have the time to exhibit at their own show I don't know but amazingly they do so well done again John
Lachenalia arbuthnotiae (label was slightly out of focus so I hope thats right)

johnny-l

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »
John, I think that's the most I've ever heard you "say" - and what a great "speech"  with truth and gratitude in every word.
Well said !
Thanks Maggi!! Saturday was such a great day that had me briming with pride witnessing the collaboration and enterprise of all these individuals who travel huge distances and come together on Show Days for the sake of these wee plants that we love so much. As much as I always thank them at the Show - and you know that I am not by nature a "gushy" person - I thought that the immense reach of the forum would be an ideal vehicle for relaying my heartfelt thanks to one and all. 
A week on Saturday will be Aberdeen's turn and, notwithstanding your natural anxiety at getting plants on the bench, I know everyone will rally round and make it a Show to remember. Bill and I will be there with all the plants we can muster.
John

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
Rest assured that a warm welcome will await all exhibitors and visitors in Aberdeen, John.
I think the fact that the Southport Show is more accessible to  the Southern members than Norwich was will mitigate against such a large contingent travelling north but I expect the 19th May will bring another good Aberdeeen show to bring our spell as Show Secretaries here to a fitting close.   
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carol Shaw

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2012, 08:22:13 AM »
David & I will be there Maggi with books and as many plants as we can find worthy of gracing your show benches,
Carol

Carol Shaw

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
Quite how show secs have the time to exhibit at their own show I don't know but amazingly they do so

We do so to ensure there are at least some plants on the bench... The only show we consider digging things out of the garden for is our own - though we made an exception this year so that Pam Eveleigh could see Primula Cashmeriana
Carol

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal