We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Edinburgh & Lothians SRGC Show 2012  (Read 9252 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Edinburgh & Lothians SRGC Show 2012
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 11:55:38 AM »
I have someone coming on Sunday to photograph a painting, for a soon to be written book. Thought I'd better do some long overdue housework and started on the inside of the kitchen windows. There is a thin film of oil/grease on them and even though washed with soapy water then wiped thoroughly with glass cleaner, the film remains and looks revolting. Roger solved the problem by wiping them down with white meths. Worked a treat and they are sparkling now but the whole kitchen and dining roon reek of meths. Still do after hours with doors and windows open and chicken curry cooked for tea.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »
Vinegar works as well, and it's cheaper, and you can put it on your chips as well!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Will Itsell

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 07:08:50 PM »
In Stan's photographs (reply #26), 4th photo down, that's me having a chat with Gavin from Macplants.  Unfortunately, I look as though I'm asleep whilst standing up and Gavin is about to slap me awake.  :o

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 07:45:25 PM »
In Stan's photographs (reply #26), 4th photo down, that's me having a chat with Gavin from Macplants.  Unfortunately, I look as though I'm asleep whilst standing up and Gavin is about to slap me awake.  :o

I thought you were looking thoughtful! Besides, Gavin is too nice to slap anyone!  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »
Vinegar works as well, and it's cheaper, and you can put it on your chips as well!

True, but because R had dug out the bottle from his shed, it was HIS stuff so he cleaned the windows. couldn't trust me to use it. I liked that. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 09:28:36 AM »
 ;) ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
It wasn't exactly meths but something similar or based on meths. Foul small anyway but it did the job. I feel for the family of another local Forumist whose house is at the head of Wellington Harbour (Windy Wellington!) and whose glass is perpetually caked in salt from the gales off the sea. The range of plants thy can grow successfully is limited as a result.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »
I grew up on exposed coast near Cork and remember that timber window frames had to be repainted every year due to wind, salt and (believe it or not) sun. 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal