We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Edinburgh & Lothians SRGC Show 2012  (Read 9253 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Edinburgh & Lothians SRGC Show 2012
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 08:52:48 PM »
There were four awards:
•   The East Lothian Trophy for best Class 3 (3 pans, different genera)
•   The Peel Trophy for best Class 19 (3 pans gentians, distinct)
•   The Logan Home Trophy for best large miniature garden by an East Lothian or Berwickshire member
•   The Silver Cup for best plant in Section II
•   The Mary Bowe Memorial Trophy to the exhibitor with the most points in section I

These awards are now associated with the Discussion Weekend Show, Frazer
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 10:02:54 PM »
Herewith a photo of three of them that are currently back in East Lothian- from the left the Logan Home first won in 1956 by Mrs Boyd Harvey, the Mary Bowe first won in 1960 also by Mrs Boyd Harvey and the Peel first won in 1953 by Dr & Mrs Henry Tod. All are still awarded for the same or very similar classes to the North Berwick show.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 10:14:11 PM »
Herewith a photo of three of them that are currently back in East Lothian- from the left the Logan Home first won in 1956 by Mrs Boyd Harvey, the Mary Bowe first won in 1960 also by Mrs Boyd Harvey and the Peel first won in 1953 by Dr & Mrs Henry Tod. All are still awarded for the same or very similar classes to the North Berwick show.

Nice to see them, Stan. We've had the plaesure of them here in Aberdeen, too  ;)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
A fabulous Show in every way. A good crowd too by the look of it which must have helped to swell the Club's coffers. I'm pleased that in each Show report, I can recognize one or two more people than previously. As Anna in "The King and I said " Getting to Know You..."

Nate can you give a link to your facebook pictures please. I'm technically challenged where Facebook is concerned. Keep forgetting my password among other things. Thanks - And a belated welcome to the Forum. The Show was wonderful but there's so much else. I hope you and even your wife :D might learn to enjoy it all.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
Not sure if these will be entirely useful to people as I didn't get many pictures of the cards / names but I was one of the ones trying not to get in peoples way taking some closer pictures so I thought I'd share for those who couldn't get to Edinburgh.  There are a bit too many to put up here, so I've uploaded them to facebook - they can be found here for anyone who's interested  ;D  

I had a great day and even my other half, who usually runs a mile at the mention of 'there's a plant show nearby...' enjoyed the more unusual (for us!) plants on display. Plants I was particularly taken with included the Tropaeolum brachyceras in the new / hard to grow section and, of course, the stunning Ramonda nathaliae  :) Many thanks for a great show!

Lesley has reminded me that I meant to post this earlier... Nate, I cannot access your photos via your link :
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150798363159134.462437.572524133&type=1

I get a page which says : This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
  :'(

Nate

• /afk
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 12:30:02 AM »
Whoops!  Used the wrong link, sorry - this one should work http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150798363159134.462437.572524133&type=3&l=e167d2c732  I'll edit my original post, too, sorry   :-[
Nate Kelso near Falkirk.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 02:15:42 AM »
Some very nice picture - and plants - there Nate. What is the yellow in the 9th line of 4?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
What is the yellow in the 9th line of 4?
Benthamiella patgonica

Nate: thanks for making that change, good to see your pix 8)

angie

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 10:58:23 AM »
Thanks everyone for showing the pictures. It was a great show and in such a lovely venue. It was my first visit.
Also thanks to the nurseries for coming. I got some really nice plants  ;D
Its nice to see the plants again as on the day its to much to take in.
So thanks again to everyone that made the show so successful. I had a nice day out.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 11:15:49 AM »
Thanks Maggi.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 11:51:30 AM »
Thanks Maggi.

You're welcome, Lesley.  It (Benthamiella patagonica) is one of the plants for which we must be very grateful NOT to have a scent button   :o :-X
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:29:14 PM by Maggi Young »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2012, 12:35:06 PM »
It (Bentamiella patagonica) is one of the plants for which we must be very grateful NOT to have a scent button   :o :-X

Is it as bad as a ginkgo fruit? I left one in my car two Sundays ago and didn't use the car for three days. I still can't get rid of the stink! :P ???
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2012, 10:40:31 PM »
Thanks Maggi.

You're welcome, Lesley.  It (Bentamiella patagonica) is one of the plants for which we must be very grateful NOT to have a scent button   :o :-X

That bad eh? I suppose the Ginkgo fruit is the reason why it is just about impossible here to purchase a female tree. All are males. There is or was, a very good specimen of a female in the Chch Bot Gardens at one stage some years ago. The fruit and leaves were all on the gound and people on bikes had been riding back and forth through it all. I had to make a quick visit to the public loos and was literally sick.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 03:39:07 AM »
Back in the 70's three of us went to a park, Maymont maybe, in Richmond, Virginia to collect Ginkgo nuts that were littering the ground.   We started off enthusiastically filling our shoping bags but within a few minutes we took turns gagging at the edge of the woods.  The three of us were green by the time we left and it was a quiet ride home.  Not one of us spoke to a dog for a week.  For the life of me I can't remember cleaning them later.

I have never seen a flower or fruits on any of the old trees about the city here. Perhaps they need hot summers.

johnw     +7c
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »
Here are two pictures of the offending tree. My car is still pretty bad, even with two $2 car air fresheners in it! Strange, as I removed all trace of the fruit! :(
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:00:36 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal