We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Kerria japonica white/cream form wanted  (Read 5092 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Kerria japonica white/cream form wanted
« on: April 04, 2012, 06:55:53 AM »
I imagine we are all familiar with the little yellow pompom flowers of Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora' as this is widely cultivated here in the UK.  It does particularly well in the dryer shadier spots in my dry garden (in that it manages to survive where most other shrubs would not).  Last week I noticed my local garden centre was selling the single yellow form, which I don't recall seeing before.  I wasn't completely sold on this but a bit of research lead me to discover that there is a white or pale cream form called "Albiflora" or "Albescens" which I would like to try in my garden.  Unfortunately the two nurseries listed by the RHS 'Plant Finder' as selling it are out of stock now and for the foreseeable future.  Does anybody grow this plant or know where it can be obtained?  Searching online makes me think it is more readily available in the USA than in the EU - but that's not really any good for me here.  
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Kerria japonica white/cream form wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 02:38:40 PM »
I cannot say I have ever seen this plant offered, Alan.

Have you tried Binny Plants?   I'll see if they have it listed. nope, they don't. :(
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:41:18 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
It seems rather lovely and very difficult to find. There's a nursery in south-west France that I'll be seeing at the end of the month and used to have it - I might send them an email asking them about it.
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »
Is it possible this "white Kerria" is placed in another genus? Rhodotypos scandens??
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »
Is it possible this "white Kerria" is placed in another genus? Rhodotypos scandens??

Perhaps, Wim  :-\

In the Kew listing, Rhodotypos scandens has   Kerria tetrapetala Siebold shown as a synonym, no mention of Kerria japonica.

If it is, then there are 24 nurseries listed for that plant in the RHS plantfinder :
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/pfregions.asp?ID=79869
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:51:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »

That's a good suggestion, Wim.  I have actually seen pictures of a pale cream version and a purer white version.  Perhaps that latter is really Rhodotypos scandens?

Meanwhile a bit of lateral thinking with the Google search results lead me to this source in France http://pcsdl.vad.free.fr/contents/fr/d107.html (scroll down the list).  Unfortunately the cost of shipping to the UK is a good deal greater than the cost of the plant.

Thanks for all the responses.         
Almost in Scotland.

Casalima

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 05:57:18 PM »
And this might also explain why the French nursery that I was looking at (http://pack.aspeco.net/thoby not far from your one, Alan) no longer has the Kerria but now has Rhodotypos scandens! (at 8 euros for a 10 cm pot)

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »
Alan, I can send Rhodotypos scandens seeds from my shrub to you if you wish, but I don't think it looks really like a Kerria japonica Alba.
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Onion

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:48:37 PM »

Their is a white form in Kerria japonica. But as Alan_b mentioned more familiar in the States than in Europe. Rhodotypos scandens is called in Germany as White Kerria or False Kerria, but can not compare with Kerria. I think the name of the white Kerria is 'Albescens'
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:42 PM »
I think the name of the white Kerria is 'Albescens'

I have seen both 'Albescens' and 'Albiflora' used as names but I don't know if the two names describe different cultivars or not.
Almost in Scotland.

Casalima

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 12:56:35 AM »
Finally looked up the plants in my books, as I should/could have done earlier, and while the white Kerria and Rhodotypos scandens are superficially similar, they are of course quite different - apart from anything else, Rhodotypos scandens has four petals and (non-double) Kerria has five!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 02:10:06 AM »
We have always - in my lifetime - had the single yellow form of Kerria japonica in New Zealand. I knew it long before I saw the double, which I like less, but I've never seen or heard of a white or creamy form. Rhodotypos scandens is relatively common.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 06:31:53 AM »
There is also a pale yellow, simple form, called Kerria japonica 'Buttercup'. Not fully white, but looks white from a distance.
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Casalima

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »
I see that the garden I'll be visiting at the end of the month has the white form: Kerria at Iturraran. I'll ask them about it.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
Thanks to everybody for all this help.  The four/five petal distinction between Rhodotypos & Kerria had completely passed me by so I am particularly indebted to Casalima for pointing this out.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal