We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2012 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 17249 times)

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Re: March 2012 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2012, 08:06:53 AM »
Hi Paul,

it is an intriguing name. Here are some more for you to choose from (the family is Melanthiaceae):

Ypsilandra Franch. -- Nouv. Arch. Mus. Hist. Nat. Ser. 2, 10: 93 (1888). (IK)
Ypsilandra alpina F.T.Wang & Tang -- Bull. Fan Mem. Inst. Biol. Bot. 7: 81. 1936 (IK)
Ypsilandra cavaleriei H.Lév. & Vaniot -- Leveille, Liliac. &c. Chine 47 (1905). (IK)
Ypsilandra jinpingensis W.H.Chen, Y.M.Shui & Zhi Y.Yu -- Bull. Bot. Res., Harbin 23(3): 267 (2003).
Ypsilandra kansuensis R.N.Zhao & Z.X.Peng -- Acta Bot. Boreal.-Occid. Sin. 7(1): 57 (1987). (IK)
Ypsilandra parviflora F.T.Wang & Tang -- Bull. Fan Mem. Inst. Biol. Bot. ser. 2, 1: 106. 1943 (IK)
Ypsilandra thibetica Franch. -- Nouv. Arch. Mus. Hist. Nat. Ser. II, x. (1888) 94. (IK)
Ypsilandra yunnanensis W.W.Sm. & Jeffrey -- Notes Roy. Bot. Gard. Edinburgh 9: 143. 1916 (IK)
Ypsilandra yunnanensis W.W.Sm. & Jeffrey var. fansipanensis J.M.H.Shaw -- Plantsman n.s., 7(1): 41 (-42; fig.). 2008 [Mar 2008]
Ypsilandra yunnanensis W.W.Sm. & Jeffrey var. himalaica H.Hara -- Enum. Fl. Pl. Nepal 1: 80 (1978). (IK)

The plant only came recently into the horticultural trade and is described as a woodland plant, evergreen, requiring partial shade and moist soils.

Happy hunting. :) :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Webster008

« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2012, 07:05:41 PM »
Excellent plants Wim,

Really love your Thalictrums, which I thought were anemonellas. Adonis is also a stunner.

Looking at your pictures I get the impression that your rock garden must look magnificent. I would really love to see some overall pictures.

Thanks, Rick.

Those Thalcitrums were once Anemonella...they've been renamed a couple of years ago (after genetic research) to be Thalictrum.

Those shade plants don't grow in a rock garden but under trees in some different corners of my garden. I'll take some overall pictures this week.

Thanks Wim,

The rock garden remark was based on the photos of Soldanella and Morisia.
Rick Webbink, Vroomshoop the Netherlands

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2012, 01:22:22 AM »
A couple of recent views.. night views 26, March, Lilacs and Sempervivum bed

From today, a couple spots in the Semp bed that are coming out of the snow over the last days...
Jovibarba allioni, Jovibarba globifera, Sempervivum
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:27:47 AM by cohan »

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2012, 11:24:34 AM »
A few Daphnes in bloom this week.

Daphne x susannae Cheriton
Daphne Napolitana stasek
Daphne  Collina
Daphne x latymeri  'Spring sonnet'
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:48:16 PM by Michael J Campbell »

astragalus

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
Michael, wonderful daphnes.  Do you have information about 'Spring Sonnet'?  Is it one of the Daphne hendersonii hybrids?
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2012, 01:44:18 PM »
 Sorry,I should have put in the full name, it is Daphne x latymeri  'Spring sonnet'. Parentage Daphne Rodriguezii  x Daphne Serica. I have corrected the original post. ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:48:59 PM by Michael J Campbell »

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
Michael; Beautiful Daphne, what about your collection of Trillium rivale, I heard that you lose some of them last winter.

Several plants have buds or flowers, but now we shall have cold weather again maybe -5 degress at night :'( I hope my plants not got to many damage.

Some new Anemone where I see the flowers for first time. flaccida and keiskeiana got very beautiful leaves also, especially keiskeiana.
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2012, 01:40:50 PM »
Although flowers are appearing every day as spring progresses, one of the aspects of the garden (especially woodland species) is the combinations of foliage that occur as plants begin to grow away. A few examples.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Surreylad

• it's always worth a try..
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2012, 07:37:32 PM »
my romanzoffia unalaschkensis starting to flower... grown from seed last year...
Warwick Furnell, Egham, Surrey.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »
Michael; Beautiful Daphne, what about your collection of Trillium rivale, I heard that you lose some of them last winter.

I lost 95% of them, but have a lot of seed and a few tubers coming on from forum members I had swapped with.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2012, 11:29:53 PM »
Michael,

That's awful to have lost all those wonderful colours you have.  Hopefully you end up with as good and better from your seed and swaps.  Not a good season for you, that is for sure.

Tim,

Great foliage combinations.  Something I think many of us don't think much about at times.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal