We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Northumberland 40th Anniversary SRGC/ AGS Show  (Read 14020 times)

veteran vet

Re: Northumberland 40th Anniversary SRGC/ AGS Show
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »
Was a really fine show, especially when we have had weeks of summer temperatures but it was amazing how there were still lots of primula on display

Narcissus bulbocodium obessus B&S Smethurst 096
Pleione shantung 'Ducat' Darren Sleep
Primula 'Aire Mist' Ian Kidman 027
Primula allionii seedling ex Aire Mist Sam Sutherland 046
Primula 'Broadwell Mikmaid' Don Peace 034
Primula irregularis seedling Jim Watson 029
Primula 'Lismore Jewel' Tom Green 037
Primula 'Moonlight HME 442-57 George Young 050
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:41:27 PM by Maggi Young »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »
Just catching up, thanks for the comprehensive pics Stan, the trouble is much appreciated by those of us who cannot get there. :D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

veteran vet

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »
More
The Primula rusbyi was a better colour than this but I have not been able to get it right with manipulation. Sadly I did not get the exhibitor.

Primula rusbyi 093
Primula 'Stella' Ian Kidman 053
Pulsatilla ambigua Alan Furness 008
Rhododendron 'Snipe' John Savage 061
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:49:38 PM by Maggi Young »

veteran vet

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »
Last half dozen or so
The picture of the Forrest plant was taken by Susan Tindall as every time I had camera in hand and tried to get a pic it was surrounded by folk, in the end I forgot. As a reward I have put a picture of Susan mid apple behind her trade stand.
The Trillium chloropetalum label said Val Murlyhill, in the past I might have seen it as Val Murvihill...no doubt someone can put me right...is a lovely plant

Saxifraga x edithae 'Bridget' Forrest Medal Chris Lilley IMG_1624
Sebaea thomasii Jim Watson 065
Susan Tindall Timpany Nursery 025
Townsendia rothrockii Tom Geen 042
Townsendia spathulata 'Cotton Ball' George Young 072
Trillium chloropetalum 'Val Murlyhill' F&P Bundy 081
Viola jooi   Clare Oates 007
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:03:13 PM by Maggi Young »

veteran vet

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
I see some kind person is doing what I should be doing...not feeling up to it today as a bit washed out after Friday getting ready for the show and setting up the hall and Saturday at the show (plus some work which got in the way)
I thought there was a really fine turnout from the Scottish members with lots of plants and information being exchanged, a cheery bunch. The Dionysia stalwarts were given a visit over to Ian Kidmans to see how he does it...this went very well I gather but they made the mistake of going in Ians car...I heard they were doing 90 down the A69!!!. Ian for something like the 13th time had the most points in the open section, quite an achievement, and if I may say no well deserved.
I might have more pictures later but I am afraid they all did not come out too well so might have to miss on that.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 05:04:44 PM »
Super photos, George. Thanks!  :-*

The trillium should be T. 'Val Mulvihill'
Some  more info on this trillium, from elsewhere in the forum:
Some other Trillium 'Val Mulvihill' references :
Perhaps from Trillium=l??
http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/temperate/index.php?gal=woodland&genus=Trillium&id=1969

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Growing-Heritage/pdf/ActionPlanFinal  photo from Carl Denton here

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/img_anno_query?kwid=0000+0000+0207+0311
Mike Ireland... of a show plant at Harrogate
http://131.211.5.130/temperate/show.php?img=T./T._chloropetalum_Val_Mulvihill_1969.jpg&caption=Trillium%20chloropetalum%20%5CVal%20Mulvihill%5C   close up of Mike's photo, I think.

http://mailman.science.uu.nl/pipermail/trillium-l/2005-December/013521.html

Well done to Kidders for another big win. Just hope all the D buffs got back safely!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:08:03 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

veteran vet

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »
I will add a few more pictures, the first of which is one first prize that was shown by Peter Maguire, our hard worked sec.
Pterostylis curta...I tried quite hard to get a decent shot and this was the best I could do, sorry Peter as it deserved a better photograph
I raided Susan Tindalls pictures before she went home to see what she had taken pictures of...its amazing how folk see things from a different point of view so without asking her (as she is on the ferry back to Ireland at this moment) I have taken the liberty of posting the next view pictures courtesy of her
There was an amazing pan of Fritillaria thunbergii which won a Certificate of Merit, I am sorry cant recall the exhibitor, might have been Fred & Pat Bundy, at any rate is as good as I have ever seen it...I have a ginormous pot full...only 3 flowers, nough said
You can not fail to be aware that this was the 40th (hence Ruby) anniversary of the our group having a Northumberland Show and to celebrate Mala Janes has produced a photographic display centred (loosely) round Ruby which was geatly admired and deservedly won a gold medal award. The contibutors to the photographs came from within the Local Group and over much of the rest of the Alpine community but the driving force and the doer of the donkey work (sorry Mala) was Mala Janes so courtesy of Susan T here is the jist of the display
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:48:45 PM by Maggi Young »

Will Itsell

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2012, 09:50:55 PM »
Hi Maggi, I think the people you are refering to are from Harperley Hall Nursery in Co. Durham.  Sorry I don't know their names.
Thanks Christine. They must have had a better time at the show than their appearance suggests... I hear they want to attend the Autumn show too!

Strangely enough, I spoke with one of the guys from Harperley (when I was buying a few plants) and he did seem very despondent.  I said it must be a lot of work doing shows with all the preparation, travelling, moving in and out etc and he replied that it was indeed but in a way that said to me, Aye, a lot of work for no return; wish I hadn't bothered. 

Maggi, you must be very intuitive to pick all that up from just a photo.  :o

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »
I observe, Will... it's a long term habit and often very useful. One can read all sorts of things from close observation of people.... and what they say and how they say it.  :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »
We think the "Ruby" display is an absolute corker. What a great idea to make the leap from 40th anniversary of the show to the traditional gem associated with a 40th wedding anniversary... and what a collection of ruby like flowers and even plants.  :o Most impressive.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2012, 10:29:34 PM »
This is one show I always enjoy.  Even more so that I don't take any pictures but can enjoy the plants without pressure of having to spend hours on the computer when I get home.
Another highlight is walking round Hexham and listening to the "Geordie" accent before going to Mrs. Miggins coffee shop.  Although a 275 mile round trip it's a pleasant easy drive.
I hope to make the Nairn show at the end of the month as the Moray Firth is always worth a visit.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Darren

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2012, 12:59:07 PM »
Susan and I had a good day at Hexham as always.

We only took a few pictures which are on Susan's camera - I guess she might post some later.  There was one of Susan with Liz Mills (Madame Prez) and David Millward. Several of 'Flat Stanley' in various places around the hall (don't ask). We took a picture of my Paeonia clusii on the bench as I'd neglected to take one at home - good job as it was looking a bit past it by Sunday.

We bought too many plants as usual. Though (probably coincidentally) none from the unhappy looking gentlemen referred to above..

That said - I don't look exactly cheery myself in the only pictures above in which I can be glimpsed. My excuse is that my face is constructed with a natural frown - I'm sort of a two-legged basset hound only much less cute - so this is my default expression when I'm relaxed ;)

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
I'm sort of a two-legged basset hound only much less cute - so this is my default expression when I'm relaxed

On the plus side, Darren, the operation to reduce your huge floppy ears was a great success ;)

Darren

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2012, 03:00:32 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

The Butcher

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »
Hi Maggie
As a member of the North East England Alpine group I would like to thank the Council of the Scottish Rock Garden Club for helping us celebrate our 40th. Anniversary by providing such a magnificent cake and non alchoholic bubbly. It tasted. as good as it looked  :P :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal