We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alnus spaethii or Salix magnifica  (Read 3656 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Alnus spaethii or Salix magnifica
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »
Does anyone in the UK grow Alnus spaethii or Salix magnifica? Any chance of a cutting or two?

A friend from Ireland is visiting on Friday and is looking for these two trees but having difficulty finding them
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Alnus spaethii or Salix magnifica
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »
Does anyone in the UK grow Alnus spaethii or Salix magnifica? Any chance of a cutting or two?
A friend from Ireland is visiting on Friday and is looking for these two trees but having difficulty finding them

Mark - PM me in late summer. I have a really large-flowered male S. magnifica that was selected by Steve Doonan at Grand Ridge Nursery, big red tusk-like flowers.  I think that would be the best tme to root it tough it's not the easiest.  Somewhere I have a pic but apparently it's not labelled, will keep looking.

Two others worth seeking  - rosmarinifolia and radinostachya.  Don't know where the latter is to be found, pic from China.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »
Thanks John.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:00:32 PM »
In my experience S magnifica cuttings roots easily in spring. I insert the cuttings in good garden soil through a sheet of black plastic.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:16:43 PM »
In my experience S magnifica cuttings roots easily in spring. I insert the cuttings in good garden soil through a sheet of black plastic.

Hoy - The problem is the tree is 3.5 hours south of here and by the time I'm there to take cuttings the buds will be flushing. And then a week to get them over there.

I stick them deeply in the autumn and they root over the winter or early the next spring. Never get 100% though, some may get wintered dessicated. 

johnw - +14c and sunny, wonderful weather for March.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 12:08:15 AM »
I saw the Salix at Kew or maybe Wisley and I'm sure others will have it. You'd have to speak very nicely to those two I expect.

I've 3 times tried cuttings of S. rosmarinifolia and 3 times had them root in water then die when potted up. One has now finally decided to live. You'all, John, Helen or maybe Lori, or someone in France(?) told me it would be easy. It hasn't been.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 12:45:25 AM »
I have done the same thing with Salix cuttings -- root in water and pot on and then they die. I have since found it is the abrupt change from the permanent water source to much drier and the roots all die off. Now they get rooted, potted, and kept under mist until roots come out of the pots before being planted.

S.magnifica would be great to have!

Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 01:51:37 AM »
I've 3 times tried cuttings of S. rosmarinifolia and 3 times had them root in water then die when potted up. One has now finally decided to live. You'all, John, Helen or maybe Lori, or someone in France(?) told me it would be easy. It hasn't been.
Not me 'cuz I've never done it  ???... should take cuttings soon though and give it a go.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 04:30:42 AM »
Maybe it was Nicole in France. No matter. The one is doing nicely.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:23:25 AM »
I have easy access to Salix magnifica. Anyone wanting cuttings, please send me a PM as soon as possible before they leaf out!
Sorry no pics - they're all old slides.

if you root anything in water you have to plant them very quickly as soon as the roots start emerging. It is a different kind of roots in water than in soil.

If you let easy Salix cuttings root in water you can use that water as substitute to rooting powder. I've read it and never tried myself but it could be worth a try.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »
That was my mistake Trond. I should have potted them into soil or a potting mix as soon as I noticed the little white bumps emerging from the stems, not let the roots get to several cms long. I found (by neglect and continually topping up the glass) that even roses will root in water. That one was definitely successful as the plant is now 3 metres long and 2 high, on a fence. It will have to be cut out as it tries to kill whoever passes it.

And yes, the willow water if effective as a replacement for a normal rooting hormone. Things watered with it root very quickly, or quicker than usual.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal