We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bearded Irises-2012  (Read 26141 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Bearded Irises-2012
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
My first of the season, a little purple form of Iris attica

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Bearded Irises-2012
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:05:30 AM »
Very nice too. I love the really dark forms of any iris.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
here is also starting to bloom this species. Sorry about your plant David, it seems infected by a virus, I will  send you a clone of my collection

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »
I agree with Rafa - it does not look perfect, David. :-\
Here two yellow ones from spain: Iris attica and Iris suaveolens.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »
Thank you Rafa, that's very kind.

I hadn't noticed the yellow sreaking on my attca until Rafa and Hans pointed it out. I had noticed it on this one though and both will hit the dustbin tomorrow.  Iris lutescens alba-and such a pretty one too :( 

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ronm

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »
Are you 100% sure David?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »
Not 100% Ron, I'll leave the final decision after comment from people far more experienced than I, but it certainly looks "streaky"
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ronm

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »
I agree it does not look good, but maybe you don't want to destroy them on the say so of a small photograph. Its a long shot but whats the worse that can happen? Especially if you can put them outside somewhere away from your others. As we have already seen on other threads this year these viruses are everywhere and Irises are particularly susceptible, but so what? You're not going to sell them around the world? Your other plants are as much in danger from your neighbours Gherkins as from these plants.
Admittedly it doesn't look good, ..but I have seen temperature effects similar, that have not shown up ever again in the specimen.
My vote ... give them one more year!
We seem paranoid in Irises. If its virus it will weaken and then kill these plants. NO more No less!!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:31:22 PM »
OK "Straw Poll"

Option 1: Dump now.

Option 2: Do as Ron suggests, isolate and give 'em another year

Votes appreciated.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:51:57 PM »
Dump now.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 10:59:05 PM »
I didn't notice the streaks either, and should have. Having said that, virtually every commercial bearded iris has some streaking in the foliage. Presumably then, we should dump the lot and only grow from seed. This isn't practicable especially when large firms are distributing more and more every year. Presumably the virus spreads from plant to plant but has work been done to determine how much damage is done to the plants. I mean, it seems to me that even the virused plants continue to grow well and flower freely year to year. Contradict this if you feel the need.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 09:45:40 AM »
Dump now.
Virused Iris look ugly in my eyes, the only reason I kept virused plants (seperated) is to get seeds of a rare species- I destroyed several Pogons, Arilbreds, Junos and Oncos. I prefer to grow all species by seed to grow a clean stock (do hardly grow any cultivars) to avoid the disappointment to receive a virused plant.
10a  -  140nn

ronm

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 09:27:23 PM »
It can't be that nobody cares............. can it?? ??? ???

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 03:15:06 AM »
I expect they DO care Ron but as Hans talks about  destroying so many of all the rarest and most precious kinds, oncos, junos et al, I can't imagine that many people have the courage or the ethics, for want of a better word, to do that. And as for the huge selection of named bearded irises, what breeder/nursery is going to face up to having to start again from scratch with unvirused plants, even if those can be obtained in the first place. I think it is simply too late. It would require every such breeder/grower in the world to destroy everything at the same time.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 09:34:48 PM »
Lesley- as you will know Oncos and Junos belong to my favourites and if I have destroy an ill plant I do this to protect my other ones, differences are important between a virused and a healthy ones.
Hope the picture of a few of my Oncoseedlings (sown 2010) makes it easier to understand why I prefer to destroy a single virused Iris to avoid the risk the others could be infected.
10a  -  140nn

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal