We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cotoneaster  (Read 1458 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Cotoneaster
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:25:59 PM »
This slow-growing Cotoneaster has been a mystery for years. Can anyone help with an identification?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cotoneaster
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:29:31 PM »
That's rather nice... does it keep the burgundy foliage all year? (No idea what it is, by the way  :-[  )
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:24:57 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:49:03 PM »
John, in my husbands part of the garden grows a Cotoneaster like yours. I am not sure about the name, but could it be C. 'Gnome'? Or else C. congestus?
Sorry, I don't have pictures.

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

johnw

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:13:10 PM »
John, in my husbands part of the garden grows a Cotoneaster like yours. I am not sure about the name, but could it be C. 'Gnome'? Or else C. congestus? Sorry, I don't have pictures. Lina.

Lina - A quick search says Gnome is a C. salicifolius so the leaves would rule that out.  I wonder if it might be C. congestus Nanus. The branches are extremely stiff.

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:24:34 PM »
It seems David Shaw had a similar question some time ago in another forum....
http://www.growsonyou.com/question/show/14463-rather-than-stealing-mervyn-s-question-on-ground-cover-i-will-put-my-cotone  ( link looks incomplete but does seem to work!)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:34:24 AM »
These are the 6 seedlings from seed sent to me a couple of years ago by Mark S in Northern Ireland, as Cotoneater congestus. They fit with the description in Hillier's "Trees and Shrubs." I think when Mark showed a picture of his, it was draping stiffly out of a trough or down a wall and was very tight in growth. These are still only about 7cms across on average and about 1-2cms high. Hillier describes it as spreading along in "molehill-like mounds." I think he may have showed his in red, winter colour which is what would have attracted me.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 01:34:58 AM »
I'm still a bit puzzled as the leaves of Lesley's congestus shows leaves that are not obovate like the one here.  I'm also thinking the one here may be rather small due to the wind and borderline hardiness.  In other words maybe not nanus but a challenged congestus.  Just consulted Dirr who says leaves can be obovate and rates it at Zone 6-7.   I shudder everytime someone wants creeping Cotoneasters as a groundcover but there's no stopping them. Alls' well until weeds pop up amongst them and then a dandy way to break your neck, super on the edge of a steep wall though. 

Thanks Lina, Maggi & Lesley.

johnw

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »
Here is a picture of ours. the leaves are very tiny. and it grows here flat on the ground as a groundcover in my husbands part of the garden.

Lina.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »
Compared with your Lina, mine has slightly bluish leaves, which again, fits with Hillier's description for congestus. Yours is very nice with the red centres of the leaf clusters.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 01:52:30 PM »
One of the things I am learning at this forum is taking a better look at plants.
There are so many differences, I never noticed before.

Thank you Lesley for teaching me.

Lina.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »
One of the things I am learning at this forum is taking a better look at plants.
There are so many differences, I never noticed before.

Thank you Lesley for teaching me.

Lina.
Funny you should say that, Lina.... we've just been finding the same thing here :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8845.0

Always something new to learn - and sometimes all we need to use is our eyes.  :)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 02:41:41 PM »
... groundcover in my husbands part of the garden.

Completely off-topic, but ;D little asides about domestic demarcation keep turning up.
I strongly agree that religion, politics etc. generally should remain off limits for the Forum, but might we consider a thread on the practicalities and funny side of garden politics
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:35 PM »
Well you start something Ashley; we'll know exactly what you mean then, and no doubt will follow.

Lina it is true - if we're honest with ourselves - that the more we know, the more we realize how much we DON'T know. This Forum has certainly been a steep learning curve for me, and such a pleasurable one too - usually ???

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal