We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Log 6 - 11/10/07  (Read 5379 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Log 6 - 11/10/07
« on: October 12, 2007, 12:23:24 AM »
Great log.  The Crocus meadow is just wonderful,  What a sight!!  Interesting that nudiflorus like more constant moisture in summer.... definitely worthwhile remembering as that wasn't a species I had that in mind for (which is probably why I lost mine!!  :()

The fungis are very cool, with an excellent name.... Shaggy Ink Cap sort of sounds like it should be fluffy and black!!  ;D  The Nototriche macleanii I thought WAS A Crocus until I noticed the name and then looked at it more closely.  The style/stamen structure looks more reminiscent of a Hibiscus, but otherwise it looks so much like a Crocus it is uncanny. 

And finally, I love the Petrocosmea sericea, which I'm assuming is Gesneriaceae by the look of it.  Very nice looking plant, as are everything else in the display pots that you showed.  Each time I see your log I even more wish that I could come over for a visit!!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Log 6 - 11/10/07
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:00:50 AM »
Great pictures of the Crocus nudiflorus Paul what a sight especially with the autumn leaves in the background.

I also love Nototriche macleanii - as you say it is superficially just like a cushion plant with crocus flowers, that was my impression the first time I saw a picture of it many years ago.

Good to see the repotting of Iris a species - I do not grow too many of them mostly due to lack of space. I would have to admit that they would not come into my top five bulbs - they might just struggle into the top ten.

Great log Paul, keep it up we are enjoying and learning from it.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:13:01 AM »
Paul, at the stage of the fungus in the pic, the shaggy ink cap, Coprinus comatus is shaggy.... later the cap curls upwards and gets "inky", it "melts" into a black inky goo! The young ones are quite tasty.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 02:29:25 PM »
Thanks a lot Paul ! Great log !
Not only brilliant pictures but very valuable information as well !!
Need to get back to Wisley next spring though.... :-[
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Len Rhind

• Bulb Log Index Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 08:52:23 PM »
Hello Paul,
I am really enjoying the Wisley log, especially since we were fortunate enough to have visited there earlier this year so everything means more to us. I just wanted to note that although you say you do not want to cover the same ground as Ian's log, for myself at least, I think the scale on which you have to do things is of great interest. The 'public' really enjoy seeing behind the scenes of any organization and what may seem mundane to you, probably will not to me.
Many thanks for your work so far. Cheers, Len Rhind.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 01:44:31 PM by Maggi Young »
Surrey, B.C. Canada

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 01:48:06 PM »
Paul, I don't think you even have to think about whether you and Ian may be covering the same topics at times.... you are down in the south of England, he is in North East Scotland and as Len says, your operations are on a different scale; I believe any overlap can only be of greater interest and use to the readers. Power to all your elbows!

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 05:17:44 PM »
Paul a fantastic and interesting thread thanks
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 08:03:02 PM »
Further to the Wisley pix of the Shaggy Ink Cup fungi, see this Wildife page :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=793.new;topicseen#new for some super pix from Cliff Booker of them in different stages, including the gooey one!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 07:52:06 PM »
Very informative Paul, thanks for taking the time to share your part of Wisley with us. Perhaps like some other members of the Forum I had never heard of Nototriche macleanii and this prompted a bit of further research and, what did I find,- a photograph by the one and only Cliff Booker (in his slightly younger days, well in 2005 :P ) on the Old Forum pages see  http://www.srgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=rate&topic=141&page=13350&post=7599

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal