We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sinningia tubiflora  (Read 1383 times)

brianw

Sinningia tubiflora
« on: February 25, 2012, 10:50:10 PM »
I seem to have a few too many of these at present if anyone is interested. Seem to need a long growing season for me to flower, starting early frost free, but you may know better. Something in exchange or postage would be appreciated but not essential; need not be a yellow snowdrop, but I would not say no. Off forum replies please.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Sinningia tubiflora
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:02:41 PM »
Brian.... what an unusual plant to have a surplus of!

I thought I remembered seeing something about a success story with it.. and I found it... on Matt Matthus' blog :
http://www.growingwithplants.com/2010/07/hardy-gloxinia-sinningia-tubiflora.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:10:29 PM »
As usual your "filing system" to the rescue. I remember this blog now too. For me the first year it got all leggy and no flowers, the next shorter leaf growth and leggy flower stems, but after disturbing it so who knows? If he saw the mass of tubers he must have disturbed his too I guess. It is a prolific grower.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:29:22 AM »
A striking plant indeed; I also enjoy S. conspicua - a large hairy plant (if given the space) with pendant foxglove-like flowers of primrose yellow. It also has a strong fragrance most prevalent in the early evening.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Ezeiza

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 01:02:35 PM »
It is a great species for warm climates. It is a native of my country, Argentina, where it grows in open pastures in the subtropical region. The problem is that the trade to increase sales has given the false impression that this plant tolerates cold conditions. It is a large plant (you need big pots or tubs for it to have enough root run), it likes it warm and its native soil is well drained. It will survive and linger on in chilly weather but in nature it is a native of the citrus belt region.

It offsets well but the frantic habit of filling the container with small tubers that would never flower seems more an indication that the plant is stressed than of comfort.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal