We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen africanum  (Read 2969 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Cyclamen africanum
« on: October 05, 2007, 06:47:35 PM »
On 19th February I sowed some Cyclamen africanum seed from the Seed Exchange which have been outside in my seed frame and open to the weather. I noticed today that some, but perhaps not all,  have germinated, this must have been a fairly recent event as I don't recall seeing any evidence when I last checked the frame about ten days ago. Should I put them in the greenhouse now or just leave them outside to their own devices?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

derekb

Re: Cyclamen africanum
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 04:34:57 PM »
David  put them inside before the first frost (I do not think you get any) as they are not all that hardy.
Derek
Sunny Mid Sussex

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 06:25:18 PM »
David  put them inside before the first frost (I do not think you get any) as they are not all that hardy.
Derek

We don't get an awful lot of frost Derek but we do get some so I shall take your advice and pop them in the greenhouse at the beginning of November. Are they likely to die back or will they stay green? Thanks for responding.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

SueG

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 04:35:26 PM »
Hi David
'They' say the way to tell between hederifolium and africanun is leave them outside over the winter and the ones which survive are hederifolium!!
I think africanum doesn't need a huge amount of shelter, so a cold frame would do unless we had a very cold snap. mine have lived like that for the last couple of years.
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 07:00:08 PM »
Thanks Sue. As my greenhouse accommodates my Auriculas and Primulas during the Winter the top vents are fully open day and night; the door is always open during daytime hours unless it's foggy, and I have glass panels taken out and covered with chicken wire on the door and the end opposite the door, so it's pretty fresh in there. I think I can find a spot in there for the C. africanum though that might just be a little warmer. Should I continue to water them though?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

SueG

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:14:57 AM »
David
I water mine while they look like they are growing and stop once the leaves begin to die back and I have followed the BD and give them their teaspoon of sulphate of potash  ;D
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal