We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum 2012  (Read 5063 times)

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
Re: Podophyllum 2012
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
Tony's # 3 in the old post linked to above is majoense. It matches the type in every respect. The petals are shorter and rounded rather than elongate and lanceolate. Otherwise it looks like delavayi.

Pleianthum should have its flower positioned at the junction of the petioles and versipelle and mairei at the base of a leaf on the petiole.

Mairei is a good species! Not sure what Ying et al. were doing in the FOC. I can agree with them on the 3 Shaw species though. The types are not distinctive enough to deserve names.

I'll take some photos later of mine which are in flower now.
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 01:10:28 PM »
Tony's # 3 in the old post linked to above is majoense. It matches the type in every respect. The petals are shorter and rounded rather than elongate and lanceolate. Otherwise it looks like delavayi.

Pleianthum should have its flower positioned at the junction of the petioles and versipelle and mairei at the base of a leaf on the petiole.

Mairei is a good species! Not sure what Ying et al. were doing in the FOC. I can agree with them on the 3 Shaw species though. The types are not distinctive enough to deserve names.

I'll take some photos later of mine which are in flower now.
This is the link to Tony's pix
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3472.msg94913#msg94913
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »
Aaron - Looking forward to your pictures.  Then we will sort out our delavayis from our majoenses!

Do you have luck with difforme?

I was speaking to a Scottish friend who claims most Podophyllums come up too early and get frosted.  P. aurantiocaule is fine though.  In my seedlings I see a great range of emergence times  - some pleianthums, delavayis and maireis are just now peeping out, well behind the others by 2-3 weeks.  I suggested he try growing more seed.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »
Interesting comment on my number 3 which is in fact one of 100+ seedlings I raised from seed using my delavayi plants as seed parent and is not a wild plant. They are growing mixed with versipelle ,mairei etc and although I worked at the pollination so did the insects.

John as to frost damage my delavayi  in the open garden were frosted of last week whilst those under shrubs were okay. They are recovering. The versipelle alongside them were unaffected.

Also the time appearing above ground for them all is very variable. Some are in full leaf and others just an inch high. I did wonder if it was due to the amount of water available as we have just had two weeks without rain and those in the drier areas are behind the wetter ones.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

johnw

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »
Interesting comment on my number 3 which is in fact one of 100+ seedlings I raised from seed using my delavayi plants as seed parent and is not a wild plant. They are growing mixed with versipelle ,mairei etc and although I worked at the pollination so did the insects.

John as to frost damage my delavayi  in the open garden were frosted of last week whilst those under shrubs were okay. They are recovering. The versipelle alongside them were unaffected.

Also the time appearing above ground for them all is very variable. Some are in full leaf and others just an inch high. I did wonder if it was due to the amount of water available as we have just had two weeks without rain and those in the drier areas are behind the wetter ones.

Tony - I will keep an eye out for flower buds on my delavayi x versipelles and post if there any.  As mentioned before none are so dissected as the one you showed, all pretty much the same with varying bronziness.

Sorry to hear about your delavayis but good to know there is some genetics there to select for late risers.   Dry here as well but the potted late ones have received the same treatment as the early ones.

Were several weeks ahead of normal and the early rhodos and magnolias are fantastic.

johnw - +16c 

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 05:43:28 PM »
I have grown for five or six years Dysosma difformis in pot, kept in winter in an almost frost free polytunnel (-3° to -5° minimum). This winter, I placed it in an unheated tunnel and it has frozen with all its fellows  :'(
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 10:53:49 PM »
I did wonder if it was due to the amount of water available as we have just had two weeks without rain and those in the drier areas are behind the wetter ones.

That would explain why mine are not yet through I hope :D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
To determine if majoense is a good species one would need good wild material and the hybrid that looks like it (or is it) and find a genetic marker that works for the species. As far as I know there is no good phylogenetic work on Podophyllum using more than one or two clones or even all the species known.

Some pic's of mine in the garden. I excluded my early versipelle that is a runner because it came up in March got frozen, sprouted again and got frozen and then put up a dozen or so leaves in early April. Difforme is excluded as well; they all went into pots last summer to get them to maturity. I don't have all the others. Emodii is difficult for me. It must be a high elevation plant, or the clones I've grown (killed) are all Himalayan and not Chinese. I now have some vigorous seedlings of a Sichuan form.

1,2 P. aurantiocaule ex Vietnam (doubtful, but who knows?)
 3 P. delavayi
 4 P. mairei -- short petals crowded just below the leaf
 5 P. peltatum - my variegated form, stable and better as it ages
 6, 7 P. pleianthum -- ex Heronswood, ex Seneca Hills (originally from Crug?)
 8 P. versipelle clone, variegated, but makes no rhizomes, strictly clumping
 9 P. versipelle, a runner, but glabrous beneath and one pedicels

Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

johnw

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 02:47:57 PM »
Aaron - Thanks for the pix, we await flowers here.

I hope you have luck with the Sichuan form of emodi.  We seem to have over-looked the beauty of P. emodi here the last few years with the influx of new species.  It is a brute to 1 meter tall or more and we seem to have no problems here with it whatever the source.  Of course heat and humidity are not a problem here.  I have also seen wonderful plants in eastern Newfoundland as well.

A few pix from last year.

johnw - drizzle & +9c

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 04:13:43 PM »
I was pleased to see that mine are just poking through the grit now, phew!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

johnw

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »
I was pleased to see that mine are just poking through the grit now, phew!

Brian  - At least it has the good sense to stay underground till any cold passes.

johnw

johnw

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 03:38:23 PM »
Flowering time here on many Podophyllums, here is P. pleianthum.

johnw

johnw

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »
Tony  - In my post #19 I promised you pix of delavayi x versipelle.

First here is one I got as delavayi x versipelle from Philip McD.  He was here last week and says now the cross was in fact delavayi x pleianthum.

Two shots of that one.

johnw

johnw

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »
And here 3 pix of my cross of delavayi x versipelle.  Quite different - stigma length, petal width/stance and anther shape.

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal