We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wisley Alpine Log- finale  (Read 41318 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Wisley Alpine Log- finale
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 07:38:39 AM »
Typically muddled thinking from RHS! Where better to promote Wisley to the gardening World than these pages.

I couldn't agree more !
A stupid decision !  >:(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 12:20:13 PM »
I think the other aspect of a Log like that at Wisley is that it actually gives one time to sit back and reflect on what one does and plan future activities. To put someone who is already extremely active and capable under even more pressure seems counter-productive. Would be most interesting to know if the RHS note any of the discussions occurring within other societies? The same criticism presumably could be made of Kew, although they do have a blog on the Kew website which is often very interesting.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

astragalus

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »
Very disappointing to hear the news about the Wisley Alpine Log.  After visiting the new crevice garden before the Nottingham Conference, I really looked forward to updates.  There were so many wonderful plants coming along in the propagation house and I was hoping to see what made it into the crevice garden, which as anyone knows who has constructed one, eats plants at an enormous rate.  It was very sparse for our visit, but time and new plantings will help that.  I guess you have to live in England if you want to see the progress.  Doesn't lack of information usually lead to lack of interest? 
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 11:06:57 PM »
Doesn't lack of information usually lead to lack of interest? 

Surely one of the most profound statements ever made, anywhere on the Forum. It could fit comfortably into many threads with great benefit.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
If Paul was writing the blog on 'company time' I can understand the right of RHS to stop it if real gardening tasks are more urgent and important.
But I know the RHS has a wide use of volunteers (they say more than a thousand).
Why not use some of those people to write and create a blog on the gardens? I'm sure there would be plenty of persons who would love to take and post pictures and comments on the RHS garndes (not just Wisley and not just the alpine sections). Living abroad I would love to read such blogs.
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

ArnoldT

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »
I wonder if the stats are available of how many times the Wisley Log was downloaded and read.

Seems to me that would be a enormous marketing tool in the hands of a promotional Dept.

I also would be interested in the mission statement of the RHS, too keep everything they do a secret!
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »
Your suggestion is an excelleent one Razvan. Indeed volunteers are the very life blood of many organisations. This very one here for instance. I too would love the log/blog to continue as I'm sure all would who can't just "pop along the road" to Wisley every now and then.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerry Webster

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 11:04:13 PM »
According to the Home Page on their Website:

"The Royal Horticultural Society is the UK's leading gardening charity dedicated to advancing horticulture and promoting good gardening.

Our goal is to help people share a passion for plants, to encourage excellence in horticulture and inspire all those with an interest in gardening."

I would have thought that the Wisley Alpine Log was an excellent contribution to these aims.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

ArnoldT

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 11:10:23 PM »
Gerry:

As I thought.

What was the Shakespeare line..

Act I, Scene 4: Marcellus (an officer) says "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark," having just seen the ghost of Hamlet's father, the late king of Denmark.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »
If someone knows how to start an Online petition, I would certainly sign it. If it happens, the words quoted above "Our goal is.......interest in gardening" should be included in the purpose of the petition.

ArnoldT

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 01:59:45 AM »
I think it is a good idea.  As long as we don't put Paul in a further  difficult position.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
Friends, I can confirm that each Wisley Log was downloaded by thousands of readers with only positive feedback received for the venture.

Today Paul has sent the final Wisley Log, which is loaded to the main website and can be seen here :
 http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2012Feb131329147216Log_12_of_2011_Final.pdf
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »
Many thanks Paul. 
Your logs were fascinating and an inspiration for the majority of us who can't visit Wisley easily. 
Ironic that they should have to end because this kind of outreach counters the elitist image of the RHS in the wider world.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

ronm

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »
Yes, many thanks Paul. Thoroughly enjoyed each log and truly looked forward to reading them each month. Good luck to you in all you do.  ;)

Gerry Webster

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 04:39:59 PM »
Many thanks Paul.  
Your logs were fascinating and an inspiration for the majority of us who can't visit Wisley easily.  
Ironic that they should have to end because this kind of outreach counters the elitist image of the RHS in the wider world.

Ashley - I would have thought the RHS were trying to cultivate a 'populist' rather than an 'elitist' image & an 'Alpine Log' does not conform with this -  too exotic.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:42:45 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal