We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wisley Alpine Log- finale  (Read 41321 times)

Buck Gardener

Wisley Alpine Log- finale
« on: February 02, 2012, 07:44:25 PM »
Edit by moderator:  Posts from two other threads have been drawn together here to consolidate the comments about the ending of the Wisley Alpine Log. These were read by more than 600 people before the move of the posts to this thread.

I recently discovered these wonderful logs. I'm a gardener in a rock garden in New Jersey. The winters can get a little slow and we need to find diversions to pass the cold days (though this year we are getting very warm weather and so are out in the garden much more.) Anyway, it's been a pleasure reading the logs and enjoying the beautiful photographs. I gobbled up all of them in a few days.

My question is will there be any more? I see the last one is from October. Hope all is well with Paul.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:55:25 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Wisley Alpine Log- finale
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:44:13 PM »
Greetings Buck Gardener !
So pleased you have both discovered and enjoyed the Wisley Logs.

http://www.srgc.net/site/index.php/features-mainmenu-47/wisley-alpine-log/wisley-alpine-log

Sadly there will be no more of these for the time being. Things are very busy at Wisley and the RHS hierarchy has decided that there is not time for Staff to participate in this form of outreach.
This is a matter of great regret to us and we hope that at some point in the future Paul will again be allowed to share his reports on the happenings at Wisley and continue to showcase the work of the Staff of the Alpine Department there.

I hope that Paul, in his private capacity, will be able to thank you for your kind words of appreciation.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:54:40 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:16:52 PM »
Welcome to the superb SRGC Forum Buck. If you've finished the Wisley Logs, have you yet discovered Ian Young's Bulb Logs and the fantastic International Rock Gardener series? Heaps to occupy the time and the mind on those. If you troll through the Main Index then the Forum Index, you'll find all kinds of amazing stuff, glorious photos and helpful information as well as the occasional giggle. You may never have time to garden again. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

BryanEmery

• So many plants so little money
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:02:13 AM »
So sad! I loved the Wisley updates.

B
I am not obsessive when it comes to plant shopping, I just want two of everything....

Victoria BC Canada

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »
Shows the limited thinking of the RHS hierarchy. Seems that limited thinking is rife in English horticultural organisations!

Hope to see you back Paul, I,ve enjoyed them and missed them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Buck Gardener

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:44:32 PM »
Thank you for letting me know what happened. Very sad indeed. That's how it is with The Powers That Be the whole world over. But I am relieved that Paul is okay. My imagination was working overtime.

Maybe it'll start getting cold again here and I'll have a good excuse to explore your forums some more. (Thanks for the tip, Lesley.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:44:49 PM by Buck Gardener »

ArnoldT

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:15:46 PM »
I'm a bit in the dark on the demise of the Wisly log.  Can someone PM me or write what happened.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
Arnold, The RHS hierarchy decided that there was not time for Paul and the Alpine Department Team to be involved in producing the Wisley Log. We were told that Paul would be allowed to write a last log, explaining the position, but this has not been forthcoming as yet.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:40:36 PM by Maggi Young »

ArnoldT

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 02:31:48 AM »
Maggi:

Thanks,

Sounds a bit strange to me.

He was promoting their institution wasn't he?

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »
Typically muddled thinking from RHS! Where better to promote Wisley to the gardening World than these pages.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ArnoldT

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 01:14:54 PM »
Ah David, was it "these pages" that was the issue.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 04:21:42 PM »
Dunno Arnold, possible I suppose.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 04:27:58 PM »
The reason given was the amount of time it took for the log to be produced.
There is great pressure on the time of all the gardeners who seem to be in decreased supply.   

ronm

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »
OMG !! Join us, pay your subscriptions like good people, admire our cleverness .... but sorry no involvement allowed! We will preserve genetic diversity ..... but it will be a secret .... and only we will know the answer! Can we as a group challenge the RHS stance? Maybe challenge isnt politically sound ... maybe ask them to bless us once more with their profound knowledge?  :o :o :o

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »
The reason given was the amount of time it took for the log to be produced.
There is great pressure on the time of all the gardeners who seem to be in decreased supply.   

Which makes Ian's weekly Bulb Log all the more laudable, and, indeed, heroic.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal