We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eucomis vandermerwei  (Read 1424 times)

Darren

Eucomis vandermerwei
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:37:52 AM »
No longer a rare plant but my stock is derived from 3 imported South African seeds back when the price was £1:20 per seed.

I now have a number (30+) mature second-generation bulbs which are taking up space and I want rid of them. They are dwarfer and better marked than the relatively unimpressive and undeservedly named 'cultivar' 'Octopus'.

I was going to sell them at Blackpool but previous experience has told me that anything remotely exotic won't sell at this show. I don't do the e-bay thing either, life is too short.

Basically - if you want any (for free) please PM before thursday evening.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
Re: Eucomis vandermerwei
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:47:01 AM »
 Darren, a very kind offer  ;)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:00:17 AM by fleurbleue »
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »
If anyone isn't familiar with this Eucomis..... it's brilliant.  Much more diminutive than the majority of the genus, it flowers beautifully year after year for me in quite a small pot.  It forms a good clump, has brilliant leaves and such lovely dark flowers.  I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

I actually have been hybridising with it a bit this year.  Crossing it both ways to 'Sparkling Burgundy' and an unnamed pink flowered one that I have.  I figure if I can get something with a bit more stature, with the dark flowers of vandermerwei, particularly if they have nice spotted leaves..... it would be brilliant.  I'm not holding my breath though.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Darren

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »
That got a good response and I have a number of takers already - I will reply to you individually.

So, sorry if you've missed out, but unless you have already sent a PM, they are all now taken!

It is a lovely plant Paul. The seedlings were from the best marked parents and I had some intention of selecting out some clones with even better leaves but never got around to it. Here is a chance for someone else to get a flying start!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:11:47 AM »
Very well marked plants, Darren.

If I may say so, this offer is typical of the generosity of forumists which delights me whenever I hear of it.  I've just been reading the names on the pots of germinating seeds shown by Lesley in another thread and it warms my heart to see the exchanges which are taking place amongst forum friends.

337982-0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Darren

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:46:34 PM »
Thank you Maggi - I don't have a picture of the best clone which is very densely marked indeed.

I agree with you about the generosity of the folks on this forum and we all have nice stories to tell, which is why I'd rather give them away to forumists than sell them to people I don't know.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »
I'm sorry I missed this Darren - I have had 'Octopus' but foolishly tried it outside and lost it overwinter. Have you tried leaf cuttings from any of your selected clones? I am not sure if this would retain the parent's characteristics totally because usually several new bulbs are formed across the base of the leaf, but it is a really fun way to propagate Eucomis.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Darren

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 08:17:51 AM »
I've never tried leaf cuttings of anything Tim. The best clone I have bulks up enough for me as it is. If I were interested in larger scale production I might have a go - it does sound fun. Or I could get Susan to try it as a college project.... :)

I'm terribly lazy in some respects. I've worked in a lab with access to clean room facilities for 20 years, and even once got permission to use the equipment for sowing orchid seeds if I did it in my own time. I've never managed to get around to it...

With regards propagation - one of my plans for the summer is to install new benches in the greenhouse (half of it still has wooden slatted staging and won't take much weight - frustrating when space is short) and to invest in a decent heated propagator - I'm looking at the vitopod ones but would be happy to hear suggestions/ reviews. Main criteria is precise temperature control.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal