We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris species  (Read 50497 times)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
Re: Iris species
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2012, 02:06:13 PM »
Darren, I would think it twice to use this technique, know some of the growers here have very good results, but my own results did not convince me. After working with embryo culture and forced germination I actually only let the seed germinate naturally - it is less work, losses are lower (or you just do not remember how many seeds where in a pot after several years  ;)) and seedlings seem to grow stronger. My own losses were between 5 - 100%  in forced germination (lost For example all the seeds of I.paradoxa mirabilis from JJASeeds this way). Normally natural germination starts to in second autumn (sometimes also in the first one).
Some may say germinating Oncos is just for patient gardener (who is not? ;)) - but sometimes it can go quite quickly.
The plants of the picture, taken in August 2012,  were sown in August 2010 - the seed coat is still visible.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Darren

« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
Wow Hans - they are amazing for such young plants!  My paradoxa and lycotis sown in october 2010 are tiny by comparison! Those fresh seeds (from Kurt Vickery) germinated well naturally the following year, which confirms what you say.

Thank you for your advice. I am really keen to minimise losses as the seeds from the ASI exchange include the rarely available I.nazarena.

If I sow naturally would I need to keep seed of these southern oncos frost free? I know you may not be able to answer this - as you garden in a relatively warm area anyway.

The packet of I. atropurpurea has a lot of seeds in - enough to experiment with both methods perhaps?

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2012, 04:42:41 PM »
Hans, you're excellent in weeds growing !!  ;D ;D Your seedling are  :P ::) :o :o
Darren, like hans, I've tried several ways, and I'm still doing forced germination but I prefer the natural way, sowing the seeds in pots as soon as I get them.
You're right, some of them will germinate after few weeks, other after one year, 2,3,4 years... just have to be patient. A bit longer but less losses and easier to do ! Cutting seeds of some small species is very difficult and usually you loose seeds.
Embryo culture is a good way too, but it needs some equipment and knowledge.

good luck  ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:50:06 PM by BULBISSIME »
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Darren

« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »
OK - thank you Fred. I hope my atropurpurea will look like that soon!

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

ronm

« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2012, 05:13:23 PM »
Maybe consider rubbing the seed coat off on one side on a fine grade sand paper Darren. Its much less fiddly, easier to be very precise, and safer, than trying to cut with a razor blade. Then soak for a day or two before sowing. I have done it with a number of seeds and had good success, ( I. sari was my latest batch ).

arillady

« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
Just thought I would take a little time to check out SRGC forum as I have been so busy with other commitments lately that it is usually a rushed look.
I received Otto and my seed from the ASI this week after AQIS had their sticky hands in the packet and removed a few to check for disease - I guess the seed did not dry evenly and got a bit of discolouration. Once I receive them all back  ??? we can start either sending a few to Peter G ;D and start soaking some. I get the most germination in spring from autumn planted seed.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »
Thanks Darren and Fred - Fred your "weeds" look very fine! ;)
Darren, wish you good luck! It is very satisfactory to grow them to flowering plants!

Checked some pots today as germination started here recently, some old pots still without germination while other pots sawn two months ago look promising. :D
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal