We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arils in growth  (Read 1212 times)

arillady

Arils in growth
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
After a few days at the beach with the kidliwinks and grand kidliwink, I had a chance of checking the garden today and I had a heck of a surprise to see first Iris atropurpurea coming into growth Then checking Iris paradoxa x Iris kirkwoodii (thanks Hans), Iris sari ex AMcM - both these under raised sheets of iron - new growth too. Aril hybrids - some in new growth. I did cover some of these a while back with a good layer of gravel but we have had more rain than normal this summer. This is the first time this has happened since I started growing arils from seed in 1989. We have had cooler nights than normal but it is in the 30Cs the last week or so and continuing to heat up.
The new EC seedlings from Peter Gras are doing well in their pots in the "shadehouse" under frost cloth.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
Re: Arils in growth
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:32:45 PM »
It will be interesting to see how it affects their subsequent growth, coming out of dormancy so soon.
Tom Waters
Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises
Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA

USDA zone 6

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal