We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 25515 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
December in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: December 05, 2006, 10:23:28 AM »
Howdy All,

My first attempt at posting a pic in this new forum setup, so hopefully this works OK? 

987-0

This is an asiatic lilium 'Tinos' which I have flowering at the moment.  The blending and shading in the flower is really beautiful, even if it doesn't show up as well here as I would have liked.  This is the first time I have grown this variety and I hope it will do well for me as I would love to see it in my garden every year from now on! <grin>
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: December in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 10:48:23 AM »
Howdy again All,

Here are a couple of other things flowering around now....

989-0
Clematis viticella 'Purpurea Plena Elegans' is such a stunning flower!!

or should I be putting these attachments in as
989-1

991-2
This is Dierama pauciflora which, unlike it's other brethren I have seen, has the flower pointing upwards.  At the moment I have the more traditional species in white, pink, "red", and purple in flower as well.  Beautiful!!

993-3
This is a yellow form of Ornithogalum dubium.  This flowers prolifically for quite some time during spring/summer and seeds quite happily.  Seed takes about 3 years to flower but is identical to the parent.  A definite bright splash in pots or in the garden!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:59:04 AM »
995-0
Here's an Echinocereus cactus I have in flower at the moment.  The flowers are a handspan across, making a rather stunning display. 

997-1
The plant is about 6 feet tall and I have included a picture of it to give you an idea of it's size.  I end up with between 20 and 30 flowers each season, spread over a couple of weeks.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »
Ah, Paul, now you are REALLY back with us... we're getting pictures!! Love that cactus, so hollywood !
BUT: where is your ID photo and a protrait of Elf? We need to know these things, or John F. and I will sulk... and you wouldn't want that to happen, would you?
We're waiting......
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 01:08:11 PM »
and me  :'(
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 05:37:58 PM »
HA! I have a cunning plan........I will post images of Paul and elf, and he will be annoyed and will post his own photos to right the wrong!
So, here they are:  Paul, an ozzie gardener and Elf, a maltese terrier!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 08:22:57 PM »
Maggie,

Oh puhleeeeze!  I do not have a beer gut thank you very much!!  :o  Elf isn't quite that furry, but close enough.  LOL

So, should I stick with the larger format or put my pics in as thumbnails?  What do people think?  At least with the 10 per page it makes loading SO mcu heasier!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 08:52:33 PM »
Tee hee! Well known fact all aussie gardeners look like that, Paul. After all, witness Sir Les Paterson the esteemed Aussie cultural attache and close friend of Dame Edna Everage !! Not that he does much gardening!

As to the pic size, it is up to you, you are finding your  way you around just fine but, to make life easier for those on dialup then the thumbnails are best. You get those by typing :
attachthumb=1   (put this in square brackets)    *** see below
where you want the first image to go and so on.

*** That is [xxxxx]  - can't enclose the commands in this example because it starts looking for images that are not there!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 09:02:56 PM »
Maggi,

Yeah, I know how to do the thumbs (I actually did 2 of them in my previous messages).  One question though..... why do both your thumbnails have the name, size and number of accesses beneath them while mine don't?  Or is it just because I am looking at my own pics?  All other thumbnails have this information, it is just that the 2 thumbnails I put up don't (or do everyone else see that info on mine as well?)   ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 10:49:49 PM »
Hi, Paul, the reason he some thumbnails have the file names and stats underneath are because they are ones that have been uploaded without the attach thumb process.... these will be shown at the end of a post. You are using the method to upload your pix INTO the body of the text and so they appear differently, without the  "viewed x times" addition.

Hope this helps! NOW, where are those photos for your profile and the Intro page? We're all waiting to see them... and why not one of Yvonne, too, for that matter?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 03:41:00 AM »
Lovely pics Paul, and ain't it all easy, once you know how? But how did you get yours at full size? No matter what method I use to load them, either Attachthumb or just browsing and uploading, they always come as thumbnails. Click on to enlarge, but we don't have to do that with yours. So what did you do?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 05:32:14 AM »
Lesley,

I probably shouldn't say, given Maggi has just suggested that I keep them as thumbnails.  She has given the key to inserting them into the message itself as thumbnails (i.e putting the [] around attachthumb=1 for the first pic and so on), but if you put [] around attach=1 (obviously I can't write it properly or it will look for an attachment) and attach=2 and so on for each attachment you'll get the pic in there full sized instead of in a thumbnail.  It is mentioned in a thread elsewhere and I noted at the time so I could use it when I had pics to upload.  I figure as well that given we now have only 10 messages per page it shouldn't be as difficult for dialup users, because you go straight to where you were in the thread instead of having to load the whole thing.  So are my instructions clear as mud?  If not, I'll email it to you so that you can see it properly.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Alberto

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 07:42:35 AM »
Hi Paul, very fine specimen that Thricoceresu sp. (not Echinocereus)!
Ciao
Alberto
North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 07:48:37 AM »
Alberto,

We've never been entirely sure what that Cactus is.  Even some members of the Cactus club weren't even sure.  Apparently there is something "odd" about it that makes it a bit unusual, but I am not sure exactly what.  Maybe they told me the name you gave and I remembered it as the other.  I really am not sure.  Whatever it is, it is a big and beautiful!!  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 08:55:32 AM »
Beautiful photography, Paul. I personally like the impact of a big picture suddenly appearing!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal