We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Which Dactylorhiza?  (Read 1481 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Which Dactylorhiza?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 09:07:06 PM »
I don't have any problem with whiteflies (no greenhouse) but perhaps those people who do, should grow some Pinguiculas with their tomatoes? ;D Oh dear, here I am again way out on another subject. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 09:19:22 PM »
That's what I do, Leslie, I 'sprinkle' my Pleione house with pinguiculas, placed on upturned pots so that they are a bit higher than the pleiones and attract passing visitors. It works a treat. I just have to remember to put the pinguiculas into my tropical greenhouse for the winter as they do not like the low temperatures my pleiones can manage. :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »
That's what I do, Leslie, I 'sprinkle' my Pleione house with pinguiculas, placed on upturned pots so that they are a bit higher than the pleiones and attract passing visitors. It works a treat. I just have to remember to put the pinguiculas into my tropical greenhouse for the winter as they do not like the low temperatures my pleiones can manage. :)

Maren, you could use Pinguicula's from moderate climate zones!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »
I've often seen in the wild that P. vulgaris takes ants too. However, they're not any good flycatchers in winter when they are completely dormant ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 10:24:02 PM »
Mine are fron seed Wim sent to me and are still tiny but well, and numerous. Only grandiflora so far but I'm hoping vulgaris will germinate soon. These seem very hardy or at least fully so in my climate. I say one (vulgaris?) both on the north English moors and on Mt Snowdon so I guess it would be tough enough.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 07:51:24 AM »
I've often seen in the wild that P. vulgaris takes ants too. However, they're not any good flycatchers in winter when they are completely dormant ;)

That's perfect Trond, no fruitflies in the Pleione-pots during winter  ;) (not here anyway  :P)

Mine are fron seed Wim sent to me and are still tiny but well, and numerous. Only grandiflora so far but I'm hoping vulgaris will germinate soon. These seem very hardy or at least fully so in my climate. I say one (vulgaris?) both on the north English moors and on Mt Snowdon so I guess it would be tough enough.

They are really tough, Lesley. And they really need a rest during winter, when they make hibernacula to get through the low temperatures
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Ulla Hansson

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »
When I was a kid so I picked bouquets of Pinguicula vulgaris and Primula farinosa, which I gave to the mother. I loved to pick flowers, but mother was not  fond of taking care of all the bouquets that we siblings picked.
P. vulgaris is perfectly hardy.
Ulla Hansson 45 kilometers east of Gothenburg

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 11:39:12 AM »
Returning to the subject:
It is quite admissible to call it Dactylorhiza maculata since that would cover all four subspecies You only need to say 'complex' if you are a splitter. Stålberg’s thesis is admirable but it is not helpful in identifying the subspecies – he takes the identification as already set.

The picture of the leaves is, however to some extent helpful since typical ssp fuchsii has a more or less strap-shaped lowest leaf with rounded end. This is clearly here not the case. D. m. maculata is tetraploid but usually smaller than ssp fuchsii. The type specimen of Dactylorhiza maculata can be seen in the Linnean Herbarium under Orchis maculata. It has markedly more narrow leaves than in the picture. This is also my observation here in Sweden. The local specimen – which for geographical reasons should be maculta as defined by von Linné - show the same leaf shape as the type specimen. The leaves in the picture are nearly as wide as D. majalis and, without flower, this is my first guess. The width of the leaf is unfortunately of limited help since a garden-grown well-fed will have wider leaves than a wild one.

Many orchids are very promiscuos and hybrids are common. However, since D.m.m is tetrapoid and D.m.f is diploid, that particular hybrid is not very common.

The dactylorhizas we are discussing all have three-lobed lip.  D.m.m and D. m. foliosa have have very shallow lobing just as in the picture but foliosa is usually unspotted. D.m.m. also has (when young) this typically pyramidal inflorence. My guess is thus (again) a very well fed Dactylorhiza maculata ssp maculata. (Or possibly a young D. majalis which also has shallow lobes)

Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »
Many thanks Göte. I'll let my friend know!
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal