We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Unknown Gesneriad from Vietnam  (Read 862 times)

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
Unknown Gesneriad from Vietnam
« on: January 09, 2012, 06:53:57 PM »
Hello to all,

I have searched through images to locate what this plant might be, but have seen nothing quite so similar. I thought Raphiocarpus, but cannot find a species that matches. I have no data on the flowers, but the inflorescence is in the image, cymose/sub-umbellate, with a short calyx and long seed pods. The leaves are nicely marked in silver and black and sericeous. It has a short stocky rhizome, but no erect stem. It was growing in the north of Vietnam at 2200-2400m on shaded mossy cliff faces with Shortia, Begonia sapaensis, two Primula, and numerous other good plants.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Sarmienta

Re: Unknown Gesneriad from Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 06:24:34 PM »
Hi Aron

I am not fer milliar with the Asian species of Gesneriaceae ,but do find them interesting and like to see more of it !
It might be a new spec.
Did you take the pictures ,and do you have more to show.

Wim

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
Re: Unknown Gesneriad from Vietnam
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »
Currently only the one picture, but the plants are growing in my greenhouse now. My thought when see it in only two hard to access sites was that it was a new species. The habitat was rarely encountered and the plant only twice.

I also have several other Gesneriads from the area that are in a different genus. We saw several rosette forming species from Sapa north to Y Ty as well as many of the caulescent types hanging from trees.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal