We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2012  (Read 22441 times)

Sue Beatty

Re: Trillium 2012
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 03:35:34 AM »
Hey Pippa and Shadylanejewel, I too live in PNW - on the other side of the border on Vancouver Island.  I clicked on because of the trillium - I'm a total beginner and just got a few trillium sulcatum seeds to try.  I gather it takes two years to germinate and should be outdoors over winter - I plan on potting it up and putting it out but to be very honest it's cold and snowy and I'm a wimp.  I'll get it out soon :-)  I'm laughing at myself as we moved here from Calgary because I started to hate the -30/40 temps but I feel colder here with the damp - and I'm originally a Brit! 
Sue Beatty
Fur and Feathers

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 04:39:42 AM »
Hi Sue,

Good to hear from another PNW'er! We've had some strange weather here over the last few days; I don't blame you for not wanting to go outside. :)
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

BryanEmery

• So many plants so little money
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 04:43:48 AM »
Hi Sue!
I am also on Vancouver Island, in Victoria. Where are you located? I have some trillium seedlings I could share with you.

Bryan
I am not obsessive when it comes to plant shopping, I just want two of everything....

Victoria BC Canada

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 06:18:25 AM »
Hello Sue and Bryan - watch out Trillium collecting/growing can be highly addicting.  Although since Bryan has enough seedlings to share, it is probably to late for the warning.

Just checked on seed of T. parviflorum and T. kurabayashii - they are being kept inside the house in moist vermiculite after already going through a chilling period.  They'd been stored moist in the fridge since late July.

Julie Lockwood
Greetings from SW Washington The Evergreen State
USDA Zone 8b −9.4 °C (15 °F) -6.7 °C (20 °F)
Heat Zone 4 15-30 days exceeding 30°C(86°F)

BryanEmery

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 06:58:05 AM »
I only have 6 species... so far... This springs trips to Fraser's Thimble Farm should remedy that quickly though...

Bryan
I am not obsessive when it comes to plant shopping, I just want two of everything....

Victoria BC Canada

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 07:13:34 AM »
I've coveted many plants from Fraser's Thimble Farms and not just their Trilliums.  I'm sure I could spend a fortune there!

Really want - Hepatica nobilis Rubra Plena   ;D
Julie Lockwood

BryanEmery

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
It is an amazing place to wander through. My friend and I went twice last year, and we already have 3 trips planned for this spring... Soooooo many amazing things to covet! Even just the normal hepaticas for 5-8$ are wonderful plants that bloom like mad!

The rubra plena are wonderful too!! Saw a bunch at the study weekend last year, they were very pretty.

B
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:19:27 AM by BryanEmery »

Victoria BC Canada

Sue Beatty

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 04:10:53 AM »
Hi Bryan, I'm in Parksville and it looks like you're in Victoria?  Are you in the VIRAG's?  I think a few people from here went to hear ZZ talk tonight - he came and talked here last week and it was amazing.  I would have liked to have gone tonight but I'm not so sure of the Mallahat plus I have a sick husband that I need to keep an eye on.  Sue
Sue Beatty
Fur and Feathers

BryanEmery

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 06:30:15 AM »
I am in VIRAGS and I was at ZZ s talk up your way, maybe we know each other. I am Mikes fiend in Victoria that goes with your group to the VIRAGS show and then people come to my garden for a tour etc. I will have it send mike with some plants for you!

B

Victoria BC Canada

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 03:48:38 AM »
One month later and T. kurabayashii hasn't increased in height but is expanding!
Julie Lockwood

Sue Beatty

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 05:05:23 AM »
I am in VIRAGS and I was at ZZ s talk up your way, maybe we know each other. I am Mikes fiend in Victoria that goes with your group to the VIRAGS show and then people come to my garden for a tour etc. I will have it send mike with some plants for you!

B

Hi Bryan, sorry - I'm still figuring the forum out and just saw your reply now.  Yes, I was at ZZ's talk in QB - for the morning as I had to go to a funeral in the pm.  I know Mike Miller - we're in the alpine group and we learn tons from him.  He's going to show us how to plant a tufa rock next week.  Haven't made it to Virags yet but hope to one day - Paul Spriggs is very enthusiastic about it.  Met him when we did the crevice garden in Nanoose - I say we but actually Paul did it :-)  Hope to meet you soon - are you going to hear Malcolm McGreggor in Vancouver?  I'm hoping to make it.  Thanks, I'd love some trillium - they're so beautiful.  Thank you.  Sue
Sue Beatty
Fur and Feathers

Jonny_SE

• Some pics of my garden etc.
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
Here in the mid west of Sweden we need to be patient about our passion  :)  But to days weather (4*C and sun) it might not be too long...12 square meter of coldframes packed with Trillium seedlings and those few weeks more before it start growing seems a bit far away....but this feeling is not new...this is the normal "pre-spring" feeling starting in late February/March...the..Why-was-i-born-so-far-north feeling  :)
Before I speak, I have something important to say "Groucho Marx"

https://www.facebook.com/jonny.andresen.9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 10:29:44 AM »
Welcome, Jonny!

I cannot imagine your long winters but I suppose the anticipation of what is to come.... all that life waiting to explode in your seedling frames, must be a powerful drug to help you cope? :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jonny_SE

• Some pics of my garden etc.
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »
Thanks Maggi.
This winter has been more normal that the last two Siberian winters...only positive about them is that my compost increased dramatically  :D...i don't know  if it's possible but we might value spring more when winters are so long..and if summer encounter with a weekend we usually have a BBQ  ;D...I could not wait..20 pots of Trillium's are inside and they are 10cm now...hopes for the first flowers in a couple of days... :)...///Jonny
Before I speak, I have something important to say "Groucho Marx"

https://www.facebook.com/jonny.andresen.9

Lillii

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
Welcome Jonny :) nice to see you here!
...this is the normal "pre-spring" feeling starting in late February/March...the..Why-was-i-born-so-far-north feeling  :)

Know all about this feeling! But springtime is near  ;D ...it is! Not very familiar to the trillium genus yet, but i have some treasures that I am waiting too see for the first time this year.
Regards
Lill Isaksen

Seedoholic with too small a garden.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal