We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Armeria seed  (Read 4053 times)

Linda_Foulis

• Beautiful Blooms
Armeria seed
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:31:19 PM »
Is there a difference in the seed between armeria maritima and armeria alpina?? I assumed that all armeria seed resembled little badminton birdies but the a. alpina seed I just purchased does not look like that at all.  Small brownish red seeds, oval, hard, is what I received.  Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thank you,
Linda
Linda Foulis
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Zone 3 gardener
Head honcho at Beautiful Blooms

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: Armeria seed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 08:41:01 AM »
I understood that A. alpina is a ssp of A. maritima therefore, I would expect the seed to be identical to the ordinary gardeners eye, such as mine.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 05:50:29 PM »
These two websites may be of assistance to study for this and other "seedy" questions.
The sites are :  http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~seedbio/seed_id/index.html

and this excellent british site, which a forumist told us of in the old forum pages, as I recall :
www.theseedsite.co.uk
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SueG

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 01:58:49 PM »
Hi Linda
I know nothing about armeria seed, but I know someone who does - she's rapidly getting a real collection together, I'll ask her to look at your query and will feed the info back
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 03:21:52 PM »
Dear Linda,

SueG emailed me about your question.  I am just beginning to learn about armeria and have several species in the form of plants already.  But there are loads to get yet!!!  Anyhow, to answer your question, I have sown all of the seed dist by SRGC, some has germinated, others have not.  All had the badminton birdies on them when I sowed them.  However, some I purchased from T&M were also sown and had no such birdies, they were just little brown American football shaped seeds.  The latter germinated much faster than any of the other seed.  One site I visited suggested (forgotten which one) that if one wanted to go to the trouble of removing the birdies and other bits, the seed would provide 95% germination.  I think the point has been proven if you look at what I achieved with A. 'Bees' Hybrids as compared to all the other seed I have sown at the same time.  But who has that amount of patience?  The most interesting thing I have found is that the seeds germinate so that the little birdies act like an umbrella above the germinating stem that holds the cotyledons, so it looks a bit prehistoric with all these little umbrellas rising from the soil.  Magic!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Linda_Foulis

• Beautiful Blooms
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 06:30:51 PM »
Well, thank you for that info.  Right you are!  I just peeled an armeria maritima seed and sure enough inside is that little 'brown American football' (ha ha) shaped seed.  The seed I had originally questioned did indeed sprout quite readily, within days of sowing.  I've never had great germination from unpeeled armeria seed, I will try it on some of my own seed and see what kind of results I get.  How exciting!
Linda Foulis
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Zone 3 gardener
Head honcho at Beautiful Blooms

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 10:20:17 PM »
Hi Linda,  I've been away a few days and just read your response.  I've managed to get some more seed but find it very difficult to remove the outer parts without peeling the seed itself.  The seed houses must have some sort of machine to get it off I reckon.  Most of the seed I've germinated has not had its shell removed and still germinated just fine.  I'm finding that the A. juniperifolia types are not germinating yet.  Whether they need some other sort of treatment I'm not sure, but the seeds are too tiny to do anything other than just sow them and hope for the best.  I may try putting them in the fridge (will have to disguise this or HWMBO will have something to say about it I'm sure.  Still, not as bad as my mother who used to regularly store her maggots for fishing in the fridge! lol
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal