We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus January 2012  (Read 76312 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Galanthus January 2012
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 03:01:40 PM »
www.garten-von-ehren-shop.de/unternehmen/aktuell/markttage2012

Here you find an event that is not mentioned before, I think. In the pictures of 2011 you can see Hanneke behind her great show of snowdrops, which she always takes with her.

Lina

What did I do wrong?? ???

Go to: uber uns
          Markttage 2012

http://garten-von-ehren-shop.de/unternehmen/aktuell/markttage-2012.html  works, I think.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »
John, were your David Baker bulbs by natural increase, or from chipping?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »
Thanks Maggi. I should do this more often to get it wright.

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
John, were your David Baker bulbs by natural increase, or from chipping?

Hi Anne

Everything here is 'au naturale' - would love to try chipping and twinning - but sadly not enough space. 

Slowly but surely (with my fingers crossed)......
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »
Another pot without a label - I blame the blackbirds :)

Yes they are lovely, but have a lot to answer for.  I keep a label in the pot, out of sight, for just such an eventuality Arthur, it means you are using two labels per pot but seems worth it.

Brian

No guess as to what my snowdrop might be  :(

It's never easy to guess from a photo Arthur, much easier if you check which ones you are sure of on your acquisitions list and then give us a choice of which it may be from those that remain...
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »
Hi Arthur, I quite like the colouring - but that tiny ovary doesn't appeal to my current tastes.  Not sure that I recall seeing it before.

Following Tim's mention of seedlings from Graham and Richard - picture 1 shows 'Augustus Seedling' one of the selections growing here.  Nice looking - good strong scent and 2 flowers per bulb.

Pic 2 - I've promissed to a member that I will post pics of 'David Baker'

Pic 3 - to show how variable the marking can be (sometimes abscent)

(Sorry about the pics colouring - had to do them in the kitchen in electric lighting).
what a fantastic clump of David Baker John
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2012, 06:36:57 PM »
I was just asking because it is said that chipping can cause permanent variation in markings on that kind of flower. If your original was well marked, then it can obviously happen without as well.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »
I like David Baker in a group. Going by the increase rate I'll buy one or two this year
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Webster008

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »

Lovely clump of David Baker, John.

Sounds like a good idea Mark, David Baker has just been added to my wishlist for the snowdropevent in Nettetal.
Rick Webbink, Vroomshoop the Netherlands

ChrisD

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »

The first phot showing flower and leaves was taken in brilliant sunshine and gives a completely false colour.  the second photo was taken yesterday with the much lower light levels and is approx correct.

Leaves suggest gracilis to me.  It is only about 8cms high.

Any thoughts please

Arthur - I was given several G. gracilis "highdown" by another forum member last year - thanks Richard  :) :) :). They are flowering in the garden and have the same twisted leaveas and paler green ovary as yours, however they have a different marking on the inner petals. I will try to photograph them this weekend and post a picture, actually I took several pictures in the sunshine on Monday but the flowers are all badly overexposed :-[ :-[ :-[

These G. gracilis "highdown" are my first ones in flower this season, are they usually this early? Sorry does that sound like I am complaining, well I'm not ;D ;D ;D. The only slight disappointment is even in the sunshine they havent openned up at all. In general do drops need sunshine or warmth (or both) to open?

Chris
Letchworth Garden City, England

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »
I think "Highdown" has an elongated ovary, which Arthur's snowdrop does not.  Snowdrops need warmth to open but often less warmth as the flower matures.
Almost in Scotland.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2012, 10:44:42 PM »
Spotted a "new" snowdrop today in the garden - one like many others but I like the green ones. ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:46:19 PM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »
Hello everyone....
I ventured out into the garden today for the first time since mid December.  I just had to get out and check the snowdrop situation.  The only ones I actually have open are Castlegar, Melville of Hort, Faringdon Double, Three Ships, Fieldgate Prelude and many more on the way.  Should I panic yet if they are not showing through the ground?!

Was very irritated to find the birds/squirrels/foxes? have been nicking my labels in the ground.  I have a whole area under an Amelanchier with no labels at all - they even pulled out the second labels that were pushed in the ground more.

Last year I accidentally ordered Three Ships twice.  Thank goodness as the one in the ground has not shown its face but the one in the lattice pot is flowering....whew!  I hope this is not the beginning of another season of major losses.

My new long woodland bed that I created last spring is planted just with lattice pots which have been drenched in Pravado prior to planting.  I am very anxious to see how this works out ???

Looking forward to another season....
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 02:35:27 AM »
Jennie - It might be wise to repeat the Provado drench later in the season so the concetration is at its maximum in the bulb during NBF season.  Not too late as you might want the bulbs still to be active - roots as well as leaves - so they can absorb the Provado effeciently and effectively.  Just a thought and I wonder if other galanthophiles agree with this suggestion.  Snowdrop season is a long way off here.

Hope all forumist survived the storm without damage. It seems the RBGE has taken a terrible hit although no particulars other than 40+ trees, mainly conifers.

johnw - -7c and temps on the rise again.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2012, 07:36:24 AM »

The first phot showing flower and leaves was taken in brilliant sunshine and gives a completely false colour.  the second photo was taken yesterday with the much lower light levels and is approx correct.

Leaves suggest gracilis to me.  It is only about 8cms high.

Any thoughts please

Arthur - I was given several G. gracilis "highdown" by another forum member last year - thanks Richard  :) :) :). They are flowering in the garden and have the same twisted leaveas and paler green ovary as yours, however they have a different marking on the inner petals. I will try to photograph them this weekend and post a picture, actually I took several pictures in the sunshine on Monday but the flowers are all badly overexposed :-[ :-[ :-[

These G. gracilis "highdown" are my first ones in flower this season, are they usually this early? Sorry does that sound like I am complaining, well I'm not ;D ;D ;D. The only slight disappointment is even in the sunshine they havent openned up at all. In general do drops need sunshine or warmth (or both) to open?

Chris

glad to hear they are doing well, it's definitely not Highdown and yes it's usually one of the first here but is very early this year, they don't really need much light to open, stick them in a warm room and they open very quickly.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal