We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Albuca humilis  (Read 4156 times)

Palustris

Albuca humilis
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:33:41 AM »
Not sure where to ask this, so feel free to move to the correct place if need be.
One of the few bulbs which survived last years freeze was Albuca humilis (an Archibald collection originally I believe). They survived as pots of seedlings. These were potted up and have been growing on ever since. They are STILL green leafed and showing no signs of dying down. The question is what do I do about it? Even with reduced watering they are still growing, the ones I stopped watering died down and the bulb withered away. They are in an unheated greenhouse by the way.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Albuca humilis
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:46:26 AM »
Generally speaking, Eric, with young bulbs, if they want to stay green then we let them do that.
The longer they are green the bigger they will be and the greater their chance of survival when they do go dormant of their own accord.
Unflowered babies often seem inclined to stay green for extended periods.
For the Albuca, I'd give some fleece cover in the coldest weather and give a small amount of water when there is a warmer spell, to keep them ticking over.

That's what we do in Aberdeen, for what its worth to you  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 10:56:28 AM »
Same here

If they like to stay green , why not
here sometimes 18 months
seeds came in a week up this year

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Palustris

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »
Thank you, I will attempt to keep them going. Now the question is, what do I so with over 100 Albuca humilis? Assuming they survive that is!

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:00:32 PM »
By the time they go dormant
you harvest them and you can offer them to other forum-members :)
There are always members who love to swap some

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »
And you are preserving an orignal Archibald number, which is no slight matter.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 09:02:38 PM »
Out of interest, is Albuca humilis the same plant I had many years ago as Albuca ?species Basutoland, and which I thought was subsequently named as Albuca cooperi? Or are they different altogether?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:09:54 PM »
After a quick Google, I think the sp from Basutoland IS A. humilis while cooperi is quite different. Thought I'd lost my humilis but found a stray bulb in bud a few days ago in something else's pot. Very pleased about that. It is highly perfumed.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ezeiza

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:42:39 PM »
cooperi is from the winter growing region.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Palustris

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 09:25:18 AM »
Is it important to preserve the collection number when these are third generation seedlings and have been in the same greenhouse as a non-numbered set of bulbs of the same species?
To put folks minds at rest, these are the small, scented, white with a green striped flowered Albuca. I have A. shawii still, but the others all perished last winter.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »
.......these are the small, scented, white with a green striped flowered Albuca..............

..... as are the ones I grow under Albuca species ex JCA 15856. I wonder if they are the same?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »
Probably they are David. When I had my originals from Basutoland, from a seedlist probably, they had no number attached so could have been from either a garden source or collected wild. It was a long time ago as my mother had it too for a number of years and she died in 1989. So I'll call mine humilis with some confidence. It is a delightful little bulb. Just imagine an upward growing, summer flowering green and white snowdrop, with a pert little yellow nose. Scented as well. :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal