We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Winter Narcissus - to early 2012  (Read 52980 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Winter Narcissus - to early 2012
« Reply #300 on: March 03, 2012, 10:27:58 PM »
Lesley, who says I sleep with clothes on? No jim jams on me  :D

Too much information, Mark  ;D
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

JimF

« Reply #301 on: March 03, 2012, 10:29:46 PM »
Part two of small narcissus I'm growing:

N. 'Pledge' upon opening
N. 'Pledge' 6 days later. I like this color phase

N. 'Wedding Morn' front and profile views.

N. pallidiflorus front and profile views. From Beth Chatto who got it from Cedric Morris. I put its pollen on 'Wedding Morn' without knowing if compatible; but WM's stigma pulled the pollen off my hand like a magnetic from about an 1/16th of an inch away! Proving opposites do attract even in narcissus.

Jim

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #302 on: March 03, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »
Cecil Nice is on Daffseek:
http://daffseek.org/query/query-detail.php?value1=Cecil%20Nice&lastpage=1&
I looked up the delightful Jana, and it falls into the annoyingly imprecise 'Dwarf - less than 32.5 cm (12.8 in)' category. Such a description is of no use at all, and makes me want to SHOUT!
A very nice selection, Jim. I'll be interested to know if you get fertile seeds from your cross. Crossing hoops and trumpets always fails with me.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

JimF

« Reply #303 on: March 03, 2012, 10:38:43 PM »
Jim is Jana a miniature?

'Jana' was in bloom at about 9 inches high, then brought indoors to the nursery's south window and in artificial heat for 5 days, so is now about 12+- inches tall, the stems promptly bending over when put outside yesterday.

The flower is about 2 inches wide and 2.5"+- long from trumpet to back swept petals. It's the latter which bother me about the i.d. Some photos show petals swept back in a non-uniform way, where as mine is very symmetrical.

It was dug from the very same clump as pictured in Graham's "The Garden Through the Year" book, which it doesn't quite match.

JimF

« Reply #304 on: March 03, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »
Cecil Nice is on Daffseek:
I looked up the delightful Jana, and it falls into the annoyingly imprecise 'Dwarf - less than 32.5 cm (12.8 in)' category. Such a description is of no use at all, and makes me want to SHOUT!
A very nice selection, Jim. I'll be interested to know if you get fertile seeds from your cross. Crossing hoops and trumpets always fails with me.

Anne:
I used Daffseek for 'Jana' but didn't even think of it for 'Cecil Nice'. Thank you very much. I'll check it out.

Re. 'Jana', no wonder it was hard for me to decide if it was a miniature or not. Graham used to grow it in his rough grass and orchard at his first 'Briar Cottage' garden, so I assumed it had to have some height to be seen. He always kept the smallest ones nearer the house or rough grass edges in both 'Briar Cottage' gardens.

Re: the cross - as I always tell customers "thank goodness the plants don't always read the books!"

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #305 on: March 03, 2012, 10:46:14 PM »
I should have said nearly always fails. I got seedlings of asturiensis x hedreanthus.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #306 on: March 03, 2012, 10:48:40 PM »
I don't know if I am following correctly the thread, is there a cultivar called 'Eugenae' the one which is pale and sterile? Thes species I mentioned as syn of N. confusus is 'Eugeniae' which hasn't got any known pale forms. As Anne said, I think this pale trumpet is a cultivar, but as I have seen pale forms in a N. confusus locality maybe it could also happen in a  locality traditionally known as N. eugeniae., but I have never heard about it.

The name 'Eugeniae' is in honour to Maria Eugenia.

Anne, let me think about your hedraeathus question. Contrary to what I usually do, this time I don't dare be too adventurous, without knowing the collection localities or if N. hedraeanthus has scent. Apart from the huge variability that N. blancoi has, that offers a wide range of posible interpretations in order to be to be assimilated by N. hedraeanthus, the scent would be a stronger argument (at least for me) to defend N. blancoi as a separate species.  I am sure there will be different alkaloids in N. hedraeantus and N. blancoi, probably you will find alkaloids in N. blancoi that you could also find in cantabricus/albicans complex, but you won't find them in N. hedraeanthus.... but this is only my intuition.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:05:41 PM by Rafa »

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #307 on: March 03, 2012, 11:09:07 PM »
Jim - Pledge is very nice. How small is it?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gerry Webster

« Reply #308 on: March 03, 2012, 11:32:31 PM »
I don't know if I am following correctly the thread, is there a cultivar called 'Eugenae' the one which is pale and sterile? Thes species I mentioned as syn of N. confusus is 'Eugeniae' which hasn't got any known pale forms. As Anne said, I think this pale trumpet is a cultivar, but as I have seen pale forms in a N. confusus locality maybe it could also happen in a  locality traditionally known as N. eugeniae., but I have never heard about it.

Rafa - I assumed that 'Eugenae' was a typo (which I carelessly repeated in my comment). 
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

JimF

« Reply #309 on: March 04, 2012, 12:05:12 AM »
Jim - Pledge is very nice. How small is it?

johnw

About 9+- inches tall with flowers about 2.5 inches across and 2.5 inches in depth. It's a larger flowered miniature in my mind, but very well proportioned. Here's a link at daffseek with a ruler next to the flower which matches what I thought. http://daffseek.org/query/query-detail.php?value1=Pledge&lastpage=1&

It is classed as a miniature. That's what I'm keen on, especially all the Alex Gray hybrids which I find hard to track down - or to find the more common ones without virus. Just tossed a new 'Quince' where the emerging leaves were green and yellow striped from virus. And where can a person find a virus free 'Tete a Tete" anymore?

Jim

JimF

« Reply #310 on: March 04, 2012, 12:14:36 AM »
I don't know if I am following correctly the thread, is there a cultivar called 'Eugenae' the one which is pale and sterile? Thes species I mentioned as syn of N. confusus is 'Eugeniae' which hasn't got any known pale forms.

My typo, too, in part of this thread, Rafa. I meant Eugeniae. Time for a new prescription on my glasses.

Jim

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #311 on: March 04, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »
Jim, please bring some of your beautiful plants to our chapter meeting next week! ;)
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #312 on: March 04, 2012, 08:59:07 AM »
The name 'Eugeniae' is in honour to Maria Eugenia.

Mea culpa  :-[ My apologies to Maria Eugenia.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #313 on: March 04, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Some of the smaller narcissus in bloom the past couple of weeks here in my Bellevue/Seattle patio garden:

N. 'Cecil Nice' (3 views) named for the head gardener of Nymans, UK, decades ago, possibly by Graham Thomas whom Mr. Nice gave it to as "something special". Any idea of its parentage? I like how the bud is like a balloon as it opens. The top three to four petals remain stuck together at the tips for at least a day before finally breaking apart into the star shape.

N. 'Gypsy Queen' with is so foward looking, like a deer or dog listening to something ahead. 2 photos

N. 'Jana' (1 view) again from Graham Thomas from another friend. Does anyone know it well enough to say it's correct? I find two different flowers under that name online. It's tall, about 13" when at peak.

N. 'Midget' (1 view). It is a midget, the flowers not above the leaves, but poking out. Very cute.

Jim,

According to Daffseek N. 'Cecil Nice' was raised by John Blanchard and was first registered in 1997. It was a self sown seedling with N. cyclamineus as the seed parent.  Nice example Jim.

As far as N. 'Jana' is concerned, again according to Daffseek, this is an old Alec Gray raising (prior to 1949). Seed parent Ncyclamineus, pollen parent N. G L Wilson (Y-R seedling). Lots of pics on Dafsfeek

http://daffseek.org/query/query-detail.php?value1=Jana&lastpage=1&
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #314 on: March 04, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »
Oh sorry Anne, nothing to apologize. I just thought 'Eugenae' could be a cultivar selection from N. eugeniae F. Casas. There are so many names in cultivars that all is possible...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal