We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Winter Narcissus - to early 2012  (Read 52989 times)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Re: Winter Narcissus - to early 2012
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2012, 06:21:02 PM »
Narcissus triandrus w/c
Very nice Arnold. How do you grow this? I've never been able to keep it - & I'm not alone in the UK!

Moi aussi  :(  And it is difficult to obtain good seed.  Currently have some seedlings from SRGC seed - hope they survive to flowering size.
Do have one pot of triandrus from a kind forumist.

Strange plant I seem to remember some years ago that you could buy these by the 10 for a few pence. I suppose because I haven't got a garden full there must be something more complex going on. Some very kind person has also given me a bulb of this so it will be interesting to compare notes as the season progresses.

Now for something different N henriquesii. I like to multi headed ones. Apologies for the quality of the photo due to low light levels
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:23:07 PM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ronm

« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
For us Narcissus novices Ian, any chance you could tell us a little more about this beauty, please.  :) :)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
My copy of Blanchard is out on loan at the moment so can't check, but I think this is N. jonquilla var. henriquesii. Gerry may be able to correct me if my memory is wrong. Very nice Ian and I suspect it smells very nice too. Whoops, hadn't seen your post Ron when I posted mine, I should have given Ian chance to reply.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »
My copy of Blanchard is out on loan at the moment so can't check, but I think this is N. jonquilla var. henriquesii. Gerry may be able to correct me if my memory is wrong. Very nice Ian and I suspect it smells very nice too. Whoops, hadn't seen your post Ron when I posted mine, I should have given Ian chance to reply.
Quite correct David.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

ronm

« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »
Really? Grow as a 'normal' Jonquilla? Referring to 'henriquesii' and nothing else!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:10:06 PM by ronm »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »

Narcissus triandrus w/c
Very nice Arnold. How do you grow this? I've never been able to keep it - & I'm not alone in the UK!

Moi aussi  :(  And it is difficult to obtain good seed.  Currently have some seedlings from SRGC seed - hope they survive to flowering size.
Do have one pot of triandrus from a kind forumist.

Strange plant I seem to remember some years ago that you could buy these by the 10 for a few pence. I suppose because I haven't got a garden full there must be something more complex going on. Some very kind person has also given me a bulb of this so it will be interesting to compare notes as the season progresses.

Now for something different N henriquesii. I like to multi headed ones. Apologies for the quality of the photo due to low light levels

Yes Ian, I also remember when they were cheap & widely available - e.g., in Woolworths. I suspect they were of wild origin. They were no easier to grow then.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:21:15 PM by Maggi Young »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2012, 07:11:03 PM »
I can't get the above post to format properly.

edit by maggi: I've wrestled it into submission for you, Gerry! Took me three 'goes'! ;)

Maggi - you are a jewel beyond compare.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:52:02 PM by Gerry Webster »

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »
For us Narcissus novices Ian, any chance you could tell us a little more about this beauty, please.  :) :)

Ron

These I grow in pots but some of the hybrid jonquills seem to do well outside eg "baby moon" etc. but the jonquill species barely survive outside for me - wrong climate!!!

ronm

« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2012, 08:14:29 PM »
Thanks Ian.  :) Do you mean too wet in summer?

Gerry Webster

« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
These I grow in pots but some of the hybrid jonquills seem to do well outside eg "baby moon" etc. but the jonquill species barely survive outside for me - wrong climate!!!

Thats curious Ian since 'Baby Moon' - N. jonquilla var. minor x N. jonquilla - is about as close to the species as you can get.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2012, 10:42:37 PM »
3  pics from last Monday. Very bad winter Narcissus season in the wild this year due the drought in south Spain. They are N. muñozii-garmendiae, a Narcissus from Bulbocodium secction, although I know it since many years I still don't know which species is it, and N. albicans (sorry for the picture, lot of wind)

I'll make a note concerning N. triandrus pallidulus, to donate more seeds next season.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:09:54 PM by Rafa »

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2012, 12:25:55 AM »

Thats curious Ian since 'Baby Moon' - N. jonquilla var. minor x N. jonquilla - is about as close to the species as you can get.

Gerry
Perhaps its just hybrid vigour but that it what is like for me

Thanks Ian.  :) Do you mean too wet in summer?

Usually difficult to dry them out but it would have been OK last summer we had virtually no rain all summer though little heat

Gerry Webster

« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »

Gerry
Perhaps its just hybrid vigour but that it what is like for me
You could be right about hybrid vigour Ian. A plant I have which may be  'BabyMoon' is certainly very vigorous, though not tried outside yet.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »
3  pics from last Monday. Very bad winter Narcissus season in the wild this year due the drought in south Spain. They are N. muñozii-garmendiae, a Narcissus from Bulbocodium secction, although I know it since many years I still don't know which species is it, and N. albicans (sorry for the picture, lot of wind)

I'll make a note concerning N. triandrus pallidulus, to donate more seeds next season.

What an interesting Narcissus albicans - just looks as N. romieuxii extended its range to the north!

Rafa, Why do you mean that the drought in the southern parts of Spain had an effect on your region?

Gerd
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:38:56 PM by Gerdk »
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »
Gerd, most of plants in this location were Narcissus albicans f. white (it is a name I use, not valid) and very few plants turned to yellow. In addition there were a residual number of N. bulbocodium aff. subsp. nivalis (3 plants)  and few hybrids with N. albicans. They were similar to N. albicans f. pale yellow, but little like this aff subsp. nivalis.

In my village there is not drought thanks to the snow, but there are no rains since many months. Most of Peinsula Iberica has drought, in fat Galicia is starting to use the program against fires, but is not rare, as they replaced the original woods by Eucaliptus...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal