We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Winter Narcissus - to early 2012  (Read 52925 times)

JPB

• My plants
Re: Winter Narcissus - to early 2012
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2012, 06:01:37 PM »
I only have species & I find that they increase vegetatively at a rate which is good enough for me though perhaps not for anyone with a commercial interest. They do hybridise readily & some of the hybrids are attractive.

I'm glad to hear. I recall reading somewhere (Blanchard book?) that most species other than the sections Pseudonarcissus and Narcissus are hard to propagate vegetatively. I couldn't imagine how one could keep a certain species/cultivar going without introgression...
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Gerry Webster

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2012, 06:34:37 PM »
I only have species & I find that they increase vegetatively at a rate which is good enough for me though perhaps not for anyone with a commercial interest. They do hybridise readily & some of the hybrids are attractive.

I'm glad to hear. I recall reading somewhere (Blanchard book?) that most species other than the sections Pseudonarcissus and Narcissus are hard to propagate vegetatively. I couldn't imagine how one could keep a certain species/cultivar going without introgression...

Hans - I've just looked at Blanchard & he does say this about "many species..... Exceptions include N. cantabricus & N. romieuxii." (p21).
My experience is restricted to sections Jonquillae, Apodanthe, Bulbocodium & Pseudonarcissus. Blanchard has had far more experience than me so his claim may well be true of the other sections. Ganymedes I cannot grow & I've never tried the others.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

ArnoldT

« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »
Narcissus    cordubensis      
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

ronm

« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »
That is very very nice.

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2012, 08:44:30 PM »

Hans - I've just looked at Blanchard & he does say this about "many species..... Exceptions include N. cantabricus & N. romieuxii." (p21).
My experience is restricted to sections Jonquillae, Apodanthe, Bulbocodium & Pseudonarcissus. Blanchard has had far more experience than me so his claim may well be true of the other sections. Ganymedes I cannot grow & I've never tried the others.

Yes, that is correct. But "exceptions include"suggests that there are more species which divide well. At least I know that N. pseud. pseud, and N. bulbocodium divide very well. There must be more but I find it hard to find information. Besides, all my species (belonging to several sections) are still one/two years old so it takes a few years to know if they divide well. I guess most of them do, except for N. serotinus and the like?
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

ArnoldT

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »
With some sage advice from Ian here is a much clearer image of Narcissus cordubensis.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

ronm

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »
very, very, very nice!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
Cracker Arnold. Did you use the "finger" test? (ie. focus on your finger close to the plant?)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ArnoldT

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2012, 09:50:59 PM »
David:

Yes, Ian explained the "finger" test and it worked well.

I think I may be trying to get too close to capture the interior of the flower.  I backed off a bit and it was better.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »
I thought you meant that Ian was now growing Salvias. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ArnoldT

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2012, 11:03:57 PM »
Lesley:

After i typed it I thought.  Someone will think this has to do with with making pasta sauce.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2012, 11:53:39 PM »
 :P ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ArnoldT

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2012, 12:11:38 AM »
Narcissus calcicola
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Gerry Webster

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
Arnold - you are having a good narcissus season, & an early one too (by UK standards).
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »
........ whilst you and I are having a shocker Gerry :'(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal