We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rock ferns  (Read 43540 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Rock ferns
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2012, 07:39:12 AM »
Trond
I wouldn't wonder if fauna of Roraima included dinosaurs...  ;)

Here are some more ferns. Pictures of previous years.

Onoclea sensibilis isn't alpine of course. Very suitable for pond banks.

Olga, I did look for dinosaurs and spotted some small and a few larger with feathers. Nowadays they are called birds. . . . .

Onoclea is a nice fern which I grow in my woodland.

Here are another one, badly grazed but one whole leaf: Polystichum lonchitis, common in the mountains here.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »
Polystichum lonchitis, common in the mountains here.
Yes it's very slow growing. Only a few new leaves per year.

Mine is from North Caucasus.
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2012, 08:15:34 AM »
How many fern species are there at this image?  8)

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2012, 08:52:21 AM »

[/quote]
Trond, I am afraid we are not allowed to send/receive seeds, spores or plants from/to here.  :-\ I send seeds occasionally when go abroad. It happens not as often as I want.
[/quote]

then how come you have soooo many interesting plants? is the internal russian plant market so developed?
do they still check every foreign envelope like in comunist times?

i remember before romania joined the EU, i would often send seeds in plain envelopes with just a few small seed packets so they would go unnoticed (back then for packets sent out of the country, one had to go through customs, which aside from regulations had a fixed tax indiferent of parcel size, which was considerable).
that's how i contributed to the NZAGS seed exchange too. small envelopes which i hoped would not go through NZ customs.
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2012, 09:01:08 AM »
Trond - that second picture looks like a botanical wonderland! Are there any books on the flowers of Roraima? Your earlier images were really exciting too.

there must be several books on the subject (http://books.google.ro/books?id=a1RgAAAAMAAJ&q=roraima+flora&dq=roraima+flora&hl=en&sa=X&ei=53EBT72CEs2KswbCxqg9&redir_esc=y)
but i remember reading quite a few years ago a National Geographic article on the subject. i was hooked. it is indeed a botanical wonderland with lots and lots of endemics.
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

Hoy

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »
How many fern species are there at this image?  8)

I would say 6 or 7. It is difficult to see those out of focus!

In front it seems to be D. filix-mas, behind the stone it seems to be two (a Gymnocarpium to the left and Onoclea to the right), further behind it is Adianthum and Matteuccia, and in the background to the right it is something that looks like a fern or a Maianthemum.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2012, 10:13:15 AM »

In front it seems to be D. filix-mas, behind the stone it seems to be two (a Gymnocarpium to the left and Onoclea to the right), further behind it is Adianthum and Matteuccia, and in the background to the right it is something that looks like a fern or a Maianthemum.
Sorry I was too cruel showing such focused image!
Only 4: D. filix-mas, Gymnocarpium,  Adianthum and Matteuccia.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »
The same Adianthum and Matteuccia in spring with Erythronium White Beauty.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »
then how come you have soooo many interesting plants?
My hands are very long.  :D
is the internal russian plant market so developed?
No. It is very poor.
do they still check every foreign envelope like in comunist times?
Not every but if they want they are allowed.  :-\
Our plant import regulations are similar to NZ. As though we live at the island. Only big companies can get permitions.

Hoy

« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »

Sorry I was too cruel showing such focused image!
Only 4: D. filix-mas, Gymnocarpium,  Adianthum and Matteuccia.
OK, you fooled me ;)  I was sure the light and dark green behind the rock were two different ferns!

Hoy

« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »
Trond - that second picture looks like a botanical wonderland! Are there any books on the flowers of Roraima? Your earlier images were really exciting too.

there must be several books on the subject
but i remember reading quite a few years ago a National Geographic article on the subject. i was hooked. it is indeed a botanical wonderland with lots and lots of endemics.
It is certainly some books covering travelling and flora and fauna but no book solely dealing with plants as I know of.

Although it was enough of rocks, rocky outcroppings and vertical cliffs it was relatively few ferns. But the focus was not specifically on ferns!

I did notice a clubmoss though at the foot of the tepui and the undergrowth in the rain forest held many huge fern species, some several meters tall.

324583-0  324585-1   324587-2

In deep shade where I expected to find ferns flowering plants dominated like these bladderworts Utricularia campbelliana, U. quelchii and gesneriads (unknown species).

324591-3   324593-4   324589-5

Hoy

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2012, 12:59:47 PM »
When I think of it some of the bigger trunks in the rainforest were covered by moss and small, creeping ferns but it was to dark to take pictures.
However further up with more light the ferns almost disappeared except in caves and under rocky outcroppings.
Sorry for the out-of-focus picture but the lightlevel was very low in the cave! Outside you can see leaves of a fern behind the Brocchinia tatei.

324595-0   324597-1   324599-2

Some more ferns can be seen behind what I focused on! (Conneliia augustae and a gesneriad). Some ferns also covered the ground below the shelf we had our tents.

324601-3   324603-4   324605-5

Roma

« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »
A fascinating place, Hoy.  I remember a TV programme a few years ago where a team of ?scientists and climbers explored a similar area.   Maybe it was one of The Lost Land of....... series.  As is usual with a lot of these programmes most of the time is spent showing people getting there and not much on what they find.  It's very frustrating catching a glimpse of a plant and not being shown it properly.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 07:47:00 AM »
Trond, incredible place. Lost world.

Back to hardy ferns.
Polypodium ussuriense.

Polypodium vulgare Bifidomultifidum.

Adiantum pedatum, Asplenium trichomanes, Carex testacea.

zen

• Orchis and ferns in the rock garden
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »
Olga Your photos are beautiful. Epiphytic fern Polypodium ussuriense  is very interesting. I did not know this fern before. Is it growing in your garden?
Zenon Kozendra,  Kielce Poland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal