We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus December 2006  (Read 19692 times)

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
Crocus December 2006
« on: December 04, 2006, 10:21:51 AM »
4th of December and nobody wants to open a new thread ?
So it's my turn:

Lots of spring flowering plants in the garden in this warm winter - hope they will survive
when the "real" winter comes.

Crocus korolkowii "Mountains Glory"
C. imperati ssp suaveolens

Hope you will forgive me, if I show something different than Crocus in this thread, but
I think Ipheion "Rolf Fiedler" is a wonderful combination with the yellow korolkowii's in the background.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
Re: Crocus December 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 01:06:19 PM »
Thanks Hans Joschko for helping to identify my Ipheion as a blue form
of Ipheion uniflorum. He told me, that Ipheion "Rolf Fiedler" is a form of
Ipheion penduculata and would not survive our winters!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 07:04:46 PM »
Looks like an early spring in Germany .... roll on the summer!! 
Ipheon Rolf Fiedler is to my mind the best blue ipheon.  It does not thrive outside here but is very vigorous under glass ..... don't plant it in a bulb frame where it becomes a weed!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 08:43:42 PM »
Forgive me that I don't mention the "C" word here but a question about I. `Rolf Feidler.' Mine grows very well outside and it didn't occur to me to think of it as other than quite hardey. However, it only gives a very few flowers. Is that perhaps because our summers may not be hot enough? Or why?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 08:51:16 PM »
And your Crocus korolkowii pics are beautiful Thomas. I bought 3 forms from Marcus last autumn and they've done really well, flowering for 2 full months.

Did he tell you that he can't export crocuses this year because his MAF inspector found some yellowing leaves which were subsequently identified as a potyvirus. So no crocuses to NZ at least. A shame as he has so many that I DON't have, and all the ones I imported last season did so well.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Kees Jan

• Kees Jan's botanical trips
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 09:06:12 PM »
Hi Maggi, yes it IS definitely a very long time since I visited you and Ian in Aberdeen.

Tony, many thanks for your information. I did not know there were any lilac hadriaticus with yellow throat in the Taigetos. I also visited Monemvasia this year, which is situated south of the Parnon Mts. in the Malea Peninsula. There was a display board with information about the native flora and Crocus hadriaticus ssp. parnonicus was said to occur on the summit of this small island but it was probably too early. According to "Wild Flowers of Greece, the Peloponnese" ssp. parnonicus also occurs south of Monemvasia.

Here are a few more croci from southern Greece for you all:
-Crocus niveus in the Mani Peninsula, southern Peloponnesenear near its upper altitudinal limit  (Ocotber 3rd 2006);
-Crocus robertianus in open woodland, southern Pindus, October 21st 2005;
-Crocus hadriaticus ssp. parnassicus, just west of Delphi, mid-October 2005.

Regards,

Kees Jan van Zwienen, Netherlands

Sorry, Crocus niveus was photographed at 1000m, not 100m! I did not find any crocuses in flower at lower altitude. By the way, the flowering season of autumn crocuses in Greece seems to start earlier up in the mountains. Perhaps due to cooler temperatures or a earlier rain?

Kees Jan
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 09:17:52 PM by Maggi Young »
Kees Jan van Zwienen

Alblasserdam, The Netherlands (joint editor of Folium Alpinum, the journal of the Dutch Rock Garden Club "NRV")

photosite: http://keesjan.smugmug.com
twitter: https://twitter.com/KJVZ10
http://www.facebook.com/kees.jan.927

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 09:07:43 PM »
Hi all

I suppose there's a first time for everything: will it work, I ask myself?

Thought you'd like to see some images of crocus taken in SW Turkey in early December. We arrived after some days of rain and floods to wall to wall sunshine but, boy was it cold. Firstly, pics are of Crocus mathewi; these grow in the stony turf areas at the locality shown at c 2000m.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 09:16:57 PM by Maggi Young »
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 09:20:41 PM »
Welcome, Dave, great to have you join the forum after we have so enjoyed your essays in the articles section of the main site. You haven't quite cracked the image posting, I've tidied it for you... I sugesst you have a browse in the info threads... there's a lot of stuff there to iron out posting wrinkles!
Cheers,
Maggi
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 09:40:29 PM »
Crocus mathewi is so perfect.. the forms with the darkest throats andthe whitest flowers... just the best of the best!

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 10:17:07 PM »
Thanks, Maggi, I'll just have to try again. Here goes.
This time some pics of Crocus cancellatus ssp lycius, a very common little plant scattered throughout much of Antalya region, occurring from sea level to well over 2000 m. Like C mathewi, seems to like growing as single bulbs dotted around, never in huge numbers; saw almost no clumps at all. C c ssp lycius sems highly variable, as this selections shows. The intensely divided styles are amazing.....

Dave

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 10:34:35 PM »
And a final offering for tonight, is in my humble opinion a little gem: Crocus wattiorum, apparantly a very localised endemic, typically growing in crevices in limestone or on scree.

Dave

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 10:39:26 PM »
Well, C. wattiorum is something different, isn't it? Fantastic contrast of style colour and black anthers... and that outer feathering to echo the anther colour is lovely.
Remind me again, what is it that is so exciting about snaw dreeps? ::)

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 11:33:55 PM »
Hi Dave!

Your crocus are wonderfull nothing to say more. Are they flowering this times in Antalya? If you can tell
exacty local name where you have seen them I would be happy. I realy admired them.

I wish to see more!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:37:23 AM by ibrahim »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 12:14:29 AM »
My goodness. What an entrance Dave! Fabulous to see these crocuses in the wild. I'll be looking out for Crocus wattiorum, as it looks quite different. Stirling group meeting on Wednesday 6 Dec at 7.30 p.m. (check web site, but note it is in the Allan Centre in Fountain Road, Bridge of Allan, not Chalmers Church Hall).

Thanks for this note about Stirling Group meeting, Anthony, we'll get the details changed. M
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 08:05:20 PM by Maggi Young »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 12:45:14 AM »
Dave,

Beautiful!!  I haven't come across the C. wattiorum before, but it definitely looks well worthwhile growing.  Must keep an eye out for it.  The C. mathewii with the pure white petals and dark throat (with the beautiful orange style to contrast) is just SO striking.  Such beautiful pics of a beautiful flower!!  Well done!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal