We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Systemic acquired resistance  (Read 4207 times)

ronm

Re: Systemic acquired resistance
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »
allegedly  :-X :-X :-X

ArnoldT

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 08:21:51 PM »
David:

I could wax poetic for hours on why football in the USA has never reached the heights of other athletic endeavors.

After all we can swim, run, jump and  catch.

More of a cultural barrier to adopting the world game.  Our major sports have evolved to be attractive for a TV audience.  Full of stats until you get bleary eyed. 

I was involved in the most successful run back in the 80's and we couldn't  break through the media blanket.  We outdrew the baseball and basketball crowds and received minimal press coverage.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

ronm

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »

Didn't really want to get caught up in this thread ( thanks David! :P) , but I may have possibly isolated the problem, ;)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »
David:

I could wax poetic for hours on why football in the USA has never reached the heights of other athletic endeavors.

More of a cultural barrier to adopting the world game.  Our major sports have evolved to be attractive for a TV audience.  Full of stats until you get bleary eyed. 

I was involved in the most successful run back in the 80's and we couldn't  break through the media blanket.  We outdrew the baseball and basketball crowds and received minimal press coverage.

Just pulling your leg Arnold, wouldn't do for one nation to have all the skills ;D

Landon Donovan is in great form at Everton; Clint Dempsey always does a good job at Fulaham and I think Brad Friedal is still the best 'keeper in the Premier League.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ronm

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »
Was it ever shown that popping an Aspirin in the compost was a negative influence? ???

Ezeiza

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 09:22:09 PM »
Exactly, it was used to "inject" the aspirin into the aroid's tissues. Otherwise the aspirin was totally ineffective. Surprising that something so promising then is practically unknown nowadays.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

ronm

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »
I feel a 'Frankenstein' moment coming on me.  :o :o :o :'(

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »
Re football (soccer to me) in the USA, maybe it's just that people haven't had the exposure to it that they have in Europe. Recently, last year I think, some of our All Blacks (rugby, best in the world ;D) players went and spent time with black kids in trouble, in Haarlem, NY. They found not only that the boys were very excited to be involved in the game with top players but that the youngsters showed a lot of talent.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »
Aspirin incidentally is a no-no for people who can't take anti-inflammatories like Voltaren for whatever reason. Every night on TV I see Voltaren/Ibuprofen/Nurofen products advertised and freely available without prescription and it terrifies me the risks people may be taking. Voltaren came within a couple of hours of killing me back in 2009.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ArnoldT

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 10:30:35 PM »
Lesley:

Aspirin has some of the same effect as non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS).  When they're taken together the effects can be magnified.  This can included lack of blood clotting and gastic issues like ulcers.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

ArnoldT

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »
Brad was one of my U-16 babies when I worked for the US Soccer Fedeeration.
We all  had the feeling that he would successful even at that young age. 

Lesley:

Unfortunately soccer is not an inner city game here.  It's played in the wide open suburbs where facilities are readily available.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

ronm

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »
The absolute major advice to all here is if you are with a heart attack victim, issue immediately one aspirin, then call 999 for the ambulance. Government have spent a fortune promoting this advice.

ronm

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:28 PM »
I am going to see what happens with some aspirin in the compost of some of my seed grown I. planifolia, as they always seem particularly prone!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 11:01:33 PM »
Lesley:

Aspirin has some of the same effect as non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS).  When they're taken together the effects can be magnified.  This can included lack of blood clotting and gastic issues like ulcers.

Yep, it was an ulcer for me. Didn't know I had one until it perforated and found myself collapsed and in hospital. 5 hours in theatre!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
I am going to see what happens with some aspirin in the compost of some of my seed grown I. planifolia, as they always seem particularly prone!

What? To heart attack ??? :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal