We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus December 2011  (Read 16018 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Galanthus December 2011
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2011, 09:07:24 AM »
Come along to the Kent Hardy Plant Society Hellebore and Snowdrop Day at Goodnestone Park on Sunday 19th February. There will be many snowdrops on display and for sale (plus other plants of winter interest). And in addition the chance to hear a talk from Rod Leeds and much good company.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
That about says it, Alan.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

steve owen

« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »
Alan puts it succinctly and accurately. Last year a snowdrop looking like Grumpy was sold on Ebay as "like-Grumpy". In addition, one of the problems bedevilling snowdrop growing is the indiscriminate naming of snowdrops that are virtually indistinguishable from other already-named varieties. In some cases the culprits are well known people.

None of this should put off the contributor who found snowdrops in his garden - but its good advice to get along to one of the snowdrop gatherings, have a good look at named varieties on display whose provenance is known, and meanwhile label your garden snowdrop as "Unknown 1". By the way, Unknown 1 may be a good snowdrop, and in the future if it is distinct from existing varieties and proves to be a good vigorous garden plant may be worth naming.  Just avoid the trap of the culprits mentioned above who "select" and name ten new varieties in the course of an afternoon's walk.   
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2011, 10:03:08 AM »
Wouldn't be the name Galanthus elwesii Whittallii Group be appropriate for such an elwesii with two separate marks at the base of the inners and unknown provenance?
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »
Sounds like a great idea, Tim... I hope that ScotsmaninKent will take you up on your invitation.

Greetings, ScotsmaninKent - good to hear of another missionary  working his magic inthe south!!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2011, 03:31:19 PM »
one of the problems bedevilling snowdrop growing is the indiscriminate naming of snowdrops that are virtually indistinguishable from other already-named varieties.

That's absolutely true Steve, but I think flowering time can be a significant distinguishing feature.  The problem is that flowering time is something that is relative to the local conditions and, at least in some snowdrops, can also vary a lot from year to year.  But if you take a well-known snowdrop like "Colossus", surely (despite its name) its main distinguishing feature is that it usually comes into flower about now. 
Almost in Scotland.

ScotsmanInKent

« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for all your comments.
I agree with so much you have all said.

I will definitely be making it along to the event at Goodnestone Park as suggested by Tim. I will be getting my new snowdrops from good sources and keeping notes on them from now on. My parents got some snowdrops which are in the Garden from Cambo in Scotland a few years ago.

These ones are I agree probably a cross from different types growing in the garden. Last year they were the first ones up as well in mid January and had the same marks.  Glad I could at least figure out they were a type of elweisii. I think finding and making an identification of new seedlings is a very fun thing, but do appreciate that these crosses may look like existing cultivars but may well be different genetically.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »
A little sunshine and a few open snowdrops today.

Paddy

Colossus
Desdemona
G 71
Mrs. McNamara
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2011, 09:24:49 PM »
Hi All

I am new to the site and Galanthus, wanted to say hello.

I have inherited some snowdrops in my Garden and hope members can help me identify them.
I think these may be elwesii cultivar grumpy. These are the only clump in flower now but some other snowdrops are poking through

Please let me know what you think these are

Also if anyone can help me with some swops or spares that would be great

even if it isn't Grumpy, I like it  ;)

I'm always up for some swapping & I'll definitely have some spares that will need a good home in the next month or so, I need to re home a small collection soon before it is most likely flattened, if you find yourself near Stevenage  :-\ (better to go around it) pop in and say hello.

Richard.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2011, 08:36:49 AM »
All the best wishes for 2012 to all Scottish Rockers and lurkers on this forum who might become a member next year!

At the moment its too warm outside for a normal winter and you can see it on the flowers of the snowdrops.
I have never seen Colossus behave like this outside!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »
In my garden it has been a very late season for the autumn-flowering elwesii snowdrops; I find a warm autumn always sets back the flowering time.  Witness this clump of Peter Gatehouse still going strong, although in a typical year it would have gone over by now.  Peter Gatehouse is my favourite autumn-flowering snowdrop; you can still see a touch of green on the inner petals on a cold day when the flower is closed.
Almost in Scotland.

Webster008

« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have a question.

I started collecting Galanthus ad Epimedium about 5 years ago. Most Galanthus varieties flower reliably in my garden (Mrs Mac, Diggory,Augustus,Atkinsii and others)
However,two varieties which I bought 3 years ago have never flowered (Magnet and Ophelia). Both clumps are increasing well but won't flower. Upon checking today I noticed that as far as I can see I won't be having flowers from these varieties this year >:(

The two varieties are at different ends of the garden and have never been moved since planting three years ago.

What could be the problem?

Rick Webbink, Vroomshoop the Netherlands

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2011, 01:02:24 PM »
What could be the problem?

Poor soil, too dry, insufficient light?  Assuming they are not too shaded and if you have enough of a clump I would split them, move some elsewhere and water the rest with a high potash feed (tomato feed is good) several times during the season.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Almost in Scotland.

Webster008

« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »

Thanks Alan.

Basically they grow in the same sort of conditions as all the rest.

Might take up your advice and devide the clump and try a different spot in the garden.

Cheers
Rick Webbink, Vroomshoop the Netherlands

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2011, 09:20:07 PM »
A week or so ago we had a night low of about -8c with some snow. So I was especially surprised today to see G. reginae-olgae 'Cambridge' standing erect and looking quite perky.  :o

The day has been spent planting seeds and pricking out rhododendron seedlings at the two leaf stage.

Best Wishes to all in 2012.

johnw  - +8c and heavy rain at times.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:17:33 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal